Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 20, 2004, 2:17 PM   #1

My first digicam was a 5 megapixel Kodak 4530. The colors on it were great, but it just didn't cut it when it came to details and printing larger prints. 5x7's come out okay, but any larger, and it really craps out. So, it's time to step up.

I think I've narrowed it down to the Canon Digital Rebel / EOS 300D because I want the flexibility of changing lenses in the future, want a real viewfinder, and manual focusing options. Plus, it fits better into the budget than the 10 or 20D. (Trying my best to keep it all under a grand.)

My questions are, are the 6+ megapixels going to be enough for 8x10 or 12x18 prints? And, because it's getting considerably old according to electronics standards, should I wait and go with or consider any newer/different brands/models?

I shoot mostly landscapes and wildlife.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick
hawkmultimedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2004, 4:46 PM   #2

The most important thing I have learned going to DSLR is that the quality of the lens defines the quality of the photo. There will always be new cameras with more improvements but this does not mean the older cameras are not quality pieces of equipment. The 18-55 kit lens is a good value with this camera and will provide a starting place for your lens collection. You should be able to find the DR for about $900 with the kit lens. You will need the other $100 to buy a 1gb cf card.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 5:07 PM   #3

ok, depends on wat you mean by "craps out"...because i've gotten very nice quality prints with my 4MP G2, with a non-photo printer (and yes..i am picky lol)

i'd like to ask you how you've been printing your photos?

i've found the best way, is to make sure the photo is set on 300dpi (or as high as you can go with the amount of mp you have...of course, it doesn't make sense to go higher than 300 cuz you can't print higher than that...lol

basically, i open the picture, edit it as necessary, go to "image/image size" and then unchecking the resample and typing in the size i want (that adjust the DPI instead of the pixels, avoiding possibly interpolation...)

well...anyway, onto your question

i'm positive you'll get high quality prints from the rebel, if your shooting and pre print editing are done well, and you could probably get pretty good 18x12's...

Vito

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 5:15 PM   #4

A lot depends on how much you crop the picture. Full frame shots will make very good 8x11. I have made good 11x14's with my 10D and croping some. But I've also made bad ones. It can be very image dependent.

It should be noted that I use very expensive lenses, which improves the quality a noticable amount. I also have very high standards. You definition of "good enough" might not be mine.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 5:38 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies.

The Kodak EasyShare DX4530 only saves images as jpegs, no matter what quality setting you choose (the highest, of course). That's the downfall. I've gotten some nice pictures out of it, but most that have any serious details such as water, leaves, etc. (Grand Canyon and ocean shots) show much pixelization when viewed/printed at 100%. I have a Canon S9000 printer and use high-res and glossy photo paper.

I'm very picky about my pics as well. One of the things drawing me back about making the plunge into the SLR world is having to accumulate a few expensive lenses to get the shots I want. I'll have to make do with the included one for the time being. Sounds like I'm going to take the plunge.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 8:31 PM   #6

Ive just printed out several 8 by 10s for a competetion from my rebel and all are are sharp, even those that have been cropped. Ive seen larger shots as printed out at our local camera shop that are very good as well.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:31 PM   #7

Since you shoot wildlife as one of your primary subjects, know that the kit 28-55mm lens isn't really going to cut it for most wildlife; you'll need something with a lot better distance to not scare off those distant animals you hunker down and wait for. You CAN buy those of course, but you'll not be staying under your $1k budget for lens+camera then. If you can content yourself with landscapes until you can afford a longer lens, I can certainly vouch for the camera+lens kit being an awful fun combo! I don't want to scare you off, just letting you know what you're getting for the money.

But wait, there may be a way to get you that lens - check out the rebate Canon is running currently.

http://66.245.180.181/canon/rebateclaimform.pdf

And details on

http://www.usa.canon.com/nfl/

This will at least knock $100 off the rebel price, and if you decide you can get a qualifying lens now will take off another $100+some amount of the lens. You'll still end up over $1k in all liklihood, but its a great deal you might want to take advantage of

Seth
sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 11:12 PM   #8

heyy...

i got a good lens for you to check out...

the Sigma 70-300mm APO lens....here's a link to B &H....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...657&is=REG

that should hold you over for a while...i've heard GREAT things about it....and it got a good rating from

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm

enjoy

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 8:10 AM   #9

Yeah, I may have to take advantage of the other rebates Canon has going for a couple of lenses. Thank god Christmas is coming up. Gee, I wonder what I'll be asking for?