Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 20, 2004, 6:29 PM   #1

On one of the threads, you talked about copying the total cost (receipt sample) from an onlinestore for a digital rebel kit and presenting it to Sears for their meet or beat deal. I didn't even know they did that. PLUS, they give you 10% of the difference, too.

I got my set up that would have been $962, $999, or $955 locally for around $650 AND THEN I WILL GET THE $100 DISCOUNT!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOO HOOOO!!! And this means I bought it at a reliable store (Sears), locally, where I could put my hands on it and see it before I bought it. They also help take care of repair issues.

I had also found out before doing this that if your Digital camera breaks, you have to pay to ship it to Canon and you can expect to be without it for 6 months or more if you do not go through an authorized dealer. I don't know if anyone else heard that, but I've heard it from several different sources now, encouraging me not to buy one outright.

WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2004, 7:13 PM   #2

Hmmm... that's what I was gonna do, but I thought they only took online prices from local brick and mortars?? Did someone locally have it that low? Let me know how it goes.
hawkmultimedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 7:24 PM   #3

Just called and checked, the price has to be from a store within a 50 mile radius.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 7:25 PM   #4

My new camera is sitting in my lap. We just took in the internet printout and asked if they would honor it. They said YES. We would have been fine with it if they had said no. The closest local price was $940.

Maybe someone wasn't supposed to do that??!! OOPS.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 7:29 PM   #5

Which online store did you use?
Old Oct 20, 2004, 7:59 PM   #6

Ryan H had posted the following:

"So what you do is print out the price from the following site (BTW, don't buy from these guys) and take it into Sears to have them beat the price. "http://www.amphotoworld.com/product.asp?id=cneos300d1855

Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:17 PM   #7

haha, that was my thread

this is great...now i know it'll work thanks for posting this btw...

wat $100 discount are you talking about? and wat page did you print? (the page the the link goes to? or did you "add to cart" and print that out?

thanks!

wow! ryan is costing sears hundreds of dollars

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:49 PM   #8

Well, shoot. I didn't know about that one, but I did get them to match B&H Photo for $789, plus the 10%. And, it comes with the $100 rebate, so I'm not dissappointed. Hope you didn't buy a memory card from them. You can get a gig CF card starting at $64 from http://www.computergiants.com/items/...asp?part=61759 off of pricewatch.com.

Cheers all,
Patrick
Old Oct 20, 2004, 11:01 PM   #9

Regarding the $100; See the promotion at Canon - http://www.usa.canon.com/nfl/, click on "Save up to $300 on the Rebel".

You save more if you buy lenses before Dec 28 too. Bought mine too early

Seth
sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 11:04 PM   #10

No, we did not get a card from them. I was going to ask about that, so thanks!!

There is currently a $100 rebate you get when you buy a new digital rebel, and they have other accessories that have discounts right now, too. You can probably find out about it at Canon's web site...anyone...anyone...??

You go through the process online of ordering the camera until the second to the last step. It calculates the shipping and the total cost with details about what you are getting. Print this. Then back up through the screens and get out of there so you don't actually order it.

I don't know if it will work where you live. This is literally the first time in my life I've caught a price break of any kind...usually I'm the 3 weeks too early girl when it comes to those things. Besides, we spend a whole lot of money at Sears on tools each year, so I feel don't feel quite so guilty. Like myhusband said, "Hey, it is their policy."