Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 21, 2004, 9:14 AM   #1

Hello,

What wonderful information on this board! I'm Bev from Iowa. Love photography and consider myself an advanced amateur. I have a Canon DRebel and love it.

I'm looking to purchase a digital point-and-shoot for my mom as a birthday present. She wants something very small & compact. I think she needs a camera which is easy to operate (no fancy functions as she'll shoot in auto modes anyway) and that is easy to transfer pictures to the computer. Doubt she will do a lot of editing on the computer.

Most likely, she will only use the pictures to make 4x6 prints and to send to people online. Pictures will be snapshots of the grandkids, the dog, around the house, etc. It's very doubtful that she would ever blow up a picture, so I'm only worried about getting a nice quality 4x6. Is 3 megapixals fine?

I've been looking at Kodak's EasyShare 7300 (3.2 megapixal), mainly because of the "docking station", Sony's CyberShot and the Fujifilm FinePix.

I would like to keep the price below $200 for everything she would need to get started.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

Bev
Bev_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2004, 11:16 AM   #2

Bev: I also have a d-reb but now use a Canon A95 as a backup camera (and a small digicam when I don't want to lug the rebel around). I would recommend this camera. It works great in auto but will have other features if you Mom later decides to try some things. It also use AA Nimh batteries and the same type I compact flash cards your rebel uses. The photos can be taken strait out of the camera if that is all she wants to do (this camera is as good as my old Oly 3040Z was in this regard). It is 5.0 pixesl so she can do larger that 4x6 if she ever wants to. May be the only weakness I have seen in the camera is that it doens't do red-eye reduction as well as we would all like but none of the small didgicams do it very good either including the Kodak models. I also like the swivel lcd on this model. I got my for $399 at Best Buy. I realize that this is more than you were oginally looking to spend.

WJL100
WJL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 11:18 AM   #3

Bev one other point. I know this is a little more than the $200 you wanted to spend but this camera has so many strenghs that I would consider it if you feel you can go the extra.

WJL100
WJL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 11:41 AM   #4

Look at the nikon coolpix 3700. I've seen alot of nice pics from it. Very easy to use (lots of scene modes) and cheap!

ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 11:41 AM   #5

Bev,
If you have a Gateway account, their DC-t50 is a good camera also. It's a 5.3 megapixel and has many features also. I use one as a second digi as backup when I don't use the Rebel 2000. It too, is more than you're looking for price wise, but with the gateway account it'd be a cheap monthly payment.

Though you may want to try getting a Dell account. I did online, and that's how I got my DRebel and a couple of lenses. They have a better selection of less costly digi's as well. Heck if I, and I strongly underline the I, can get an account....anybody can get one. My ex ruined my credit the week she left, and that follows you!

Here's an example of one of the pics from Gateways brand.
Attached Images

SkippyTheWonderPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 11:45 AM   #6

I've gone through lots of digital cameras. The easiest by far are the QV-R series and the Exilim series by Casio. They are both basically the same. The difference is that the Exilims are much thinner than the QVs and the Exilim's come with a docking station.

They come in different megapixels. Get whichever one fits your budget. The QV-R41 and the EX-Z30 the ones to look at.

The picture quality is not as good as the Canons or Sonys, but it's good enough for what you describe and they are VERY EASY to use.
MontiCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 9:41 AM   #7

Thank you all for the helpful information!

Bev
Bev_K is offline   Reply With Quote