Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 29, 2004, 6:59 PM   #11

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
I believe your decision comes down to 'feature set' vs. size. I will say I love canon digicams - I own an S40, my father owns the S50 and I know a couple people that own older versions of the 'elph' series. Both cameras take great pictures. But for around $120 more the S50 has a lot more pro-like features for you to grow into. So I would say if you want to grow as a photographer go with the S50. If you just want a high-quality camera that is relatively small go with the 500. The 50 will still fit in a pocket but bearly and it's a bit heavier the 500 fits nicely. Not being much of a macro photographer I can't say if either is better than the other.
I love them too. My S200 still takes great pictures for a 2MP camera.
Snarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 7:27 PM   #12

I'm just a newbie so take it for what it's worth :?:

Shouldn't you be looking at the S60 and S70 (not S50)? You should also consider the SD300. The easiest thing is to do a side-by-side comparison of features (at dpreview.com (select buying guide->side-by-side on the menu on the left) or at dcresource.com).

I'm not an expert on stuff but just looking at the specs, the S60 and S70 are likely better for macro pics than the S500 or SD300. The wide zoom for the S60 and S70 is at 28mm while it's at 36mm so I think the S60/S70 will take better macros... Also, according to the macro focus range spec, the S500 is at 5cm, S60 and S70 are at 4cm, and SD300 is at 3cm. So SD300 looks like the best using that category but S60 and S70 are better than S500.

Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 9:29 PM   #13

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
I'm just a newbie so take it for what it's worth :?:

Shouldn't you be looking at the S60 and S70 (not S50)? You should also consider the SD300. The easiest thing is to do a side-by-side comparison of features (at dpreview.com (select buying guide->side-by-side on the menu on the left) or at dcresource.com).

I'm not an expert on stuff but just looking at the specs, the S60 and S70 are likely better for macro pics than the S500 or SD300. The wide zoom for the S60 and S70 is at 28mm while it's at 36mm so I think the S60/S70 will take better macros... Also, according to the macro focus range spec, the S500 is at 5cm, S60 and S70 are at 4cm, and SD300 is at 3cm. So SD300 looks like the best using that category but S60 and S70 are better than S500.

I said a few replies up that I meant the S60, not the S50. And I know abou the macro things, I'm not sure what I am doing yet. Stupid choices.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 9:34 AM   #14

Hi! I just sold Minolta S404. It was not very bad, it takes pics with high quality and of corse it was full of manual controls. But for the last 1,5 years I owned it, I used it only several times. Why? One reason is banal – I've been working hard and have had a little time for rest. But even at the parties the camera stays at home – with such a huge camera You are the photographer at the party - it hangs at Your neck like a brick and don't let You feel free.
OK. I just wanted to say that manual settings is nothing, size is everything! I'm going to buy S500 without a doubt! Attach it to your belt and feel free everywhere You go with it!

Regards!
Air Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 6:27 PM   #15

Air Max wrote:
Quote:
Hi! I just sold Minolta S404. It was not very bad, it takes pics with high quality and of corse it was full of manual controls. But for the last 1,5 years I owned it, I used it only several times. Why? One reason is banal – I've been working hard and have had a little time for rest. But even at the parties the camera stays at home – with such a huge camera You are the photographer at the party - it hangs at Your neck like a brick and don't let You feel free.
OK. I just wanted to say that manual settings is nothing, size is everything! I'm going to buy S500 without a doubt! Attach it to your belt and feel free everywhere You go with it!

Regards!

Yeah, I went and looked at the s500 at Best Buy today, and I really liked it.