Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:16 AM   #1

Hi!

Im looking for a new digicam with more than 3x optical zoom (something around 8x or 10x). Image stabilization would be great to use all that zoom. All manual settings, like aperture, shutter speed and focus. Need ilimitedVGA video recording with sound (limited by the memory card, 30 fps video). 3 or 5 megapixels are enough for me. A camera powered by AA batteries. Something compact, weighting less than 450g (15oz).

Any suggestions?

I thought abou the Canon S1 IS wich have a good price, but image quality seens to bepoor compared to my old Olympus D-560 (3.2MP, 3x).

Rafael
rbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2004, 2:25 PM   #2

There aren't too many cameras with image stabilization. You can go to a website like dpreview.com and do a side-by-side comparison to filter the cameras you want.

If you go into the 5 megapixels area, you have to spend a bit more and go with a higher-end camera. These cameras are usually 7x zoom.

At the 3 MP range, I narrowed down my choices to the Canon S1 IS and Panasonic DMC-FZ3. Panasonic has better image quality and better zoom (12x at lower aperature setting) but does not have 640x480 video, uses proprietory batteries, etc.

I'm just a newbie but based on the research I have done, the best ultra-zoom cameras around the $300 to $500 price range are the Canon Powershot S1 IS and the Panasonic DMC-FZ3. (If you can afford to spend a bit more, you should consider the higher end models like Panasonic DMC-FZ20 or the Canon Powershot Pro1, along with several other manufacturers).
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 5:41 PM   #3

I have U$550 to spend on a camera. But the problem is that I live in Brazil and a S1 IS costs around U$540 here! With all that money I could buy a FZ20 in the US.

Arethere any online shopping with good prices that ships internationally???
rbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 7:05 PM   #4

Try ebay. There was a seller who had the Panasonic FZ-3 for a decent price with a charge of $69 for international shipping. It's a little steep but still much cheaper than what you would apparently pay in Brazil. I paid an ebay seller thirty bucks to send a camera to a friend in Japan. It arrived quckly and safely. Check out the seller's ratings, first, though.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote