Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 22, 2004, 9:43 PM   #1

Hi, I have seen a few cameras that will work for me, but I don't know which to choose. The ones that I have seen are the Fuji S5100,Canon S1 IS, Olympus C-770, Nikon 4800, Nikon 8700, and the Minolta Dimage Z3.The prices are pretty similarexcept for the 8700, but is it worth the extra money. I like the size of the 4800and the Olympus. I like the 12x Optical of the Minolta. Basically I'm looking for the best camera of this group. Can anyonehelp? Thanks.
tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2004, 12:04 AM   #2

Hello,

I don't have an answer to your question, but I did want to mention a suggestion. You should consider adding the Panasonic "super-zoom" cameras to your list. From what I've read, they are better than the Minolta or Canon cameras that also have image stabilization. Look at the FZ3, FZ10, FZ15, and FZ20 before you buy.

regards,

Phil
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 1:14 PM   #3

Thanks. I will add the Panasonic FZ20 to my list. I saw that for about $500. Can anyone recommend a better camera with high zoom in that same price range? What about the Minolta A2 or Dimage Z3? Or Nikon 8700? Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 3:29 PM   #4

I'm just a newbie so take it for what it's worth...

Panasonic DMC-FZ20 is the best ultra-zoom camera around that price range IMO. If you care about picture quality, it is arguably better than any other camera (at that price range).

I personally am also looking for a camera and have (pretty much) decided to go with the Canon Powershot S1 IS (I'm not willing to spend more so FZ20 and others are out of the question). My decision came down between S1 IS and Panasonic DMC-FZ3.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 9:33 PM   #5

I too was shopping around for a new digicam. I had narrowed it down to the Canon S1 IS, the Minolta Z3 or the FZ20 . I got tons of great info on various forums including this one and read as many reviews as I could find on each of these cameras and several others. I finally made my decision and order my new FZ20 last week. It came yesterday and so far I am thrilled with what I see! Very user friendly, even for a complete novice like myself, comfortable in the hand, fast and the photos so far have been very good. This is an amazing camera and I am very happy that I decided to get it.

Here is a photo I took with the camera just hours after receiving it. I still have a lot to learn but I am very pleased with my first photos so far.

Snaphappy1
Attached Images

snaphappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 9:36 PM   #6

Here is another one I took yesterday just after receiving my FZ20.

Snaphappy1
Attached Images

Old Oct 23, 2004, 9:54 PM   #7

Try taking pics in low-light situations (indoor, night, etc). My major concern with the Canon is that it is horrible in low-light conditions, while the Panasonic is better. I wonder how good the Panasonic is in low-light (all these zoom cameras seem to have problems in low-light to some degree).

My decision is really between FZ3 and S1 IS--not FZ20. I'm still going to go with the Canon because of [email protected] video, AA batteries, etc but man, the Panasonic is very nice...
Old Oct 23, 2004, 10:05 PM   #8

Well, for what it's worth, these photos were taken on a VERY overcast day. While it was still better lighting then you can encounter indoors, I think the camera performed very well.

I have not taken many shots inside yet (just got my FZ20 yesterday) but I'll let you know how it performs under those circumstances.

I have seen some sample galleries for the Canon S1 IS and I found many of the photos to be a bit soft and not as sharp as I would like to see. To me, this is more of a concern than performance in low lightsince thisis not where most of my photos will be taken. As always, it really depends on what you are most likely to be using your camera for and what is most important to you. There is no perfect camera. They all have their good and bad points. You just have to find one that is the most suitable for 'you'. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Snaphappy1
Old Oct 24, 2004, 12:05 AM   #9

Thanks for the feedback. If you happen to encounter any problems with the new Panasonic, be sure to pass it on, otherwise I think that is what I'm going to go with.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 1:59 AM   #10

snaphappy1 wrote:
Quote:
I have seen some sample galleries for the Canon S1 IS and I found many of the photos to be a bit soft and not as sharp as I would like to see.
Yeah... that's a complaint of many... but supposedly you can fix that by sharpening (either through computer software afterwards, or boosting the sharpness factor within the camera). I really hope this sharpening solution works because the pics are soft for sure...

In any case, in terms of quality, the Panasonic is better than the Canon. If picture quality is all that mattered, I would go with the Panasonic...