Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 24, 2004, 4:43 PM   #1

Hi, I have been looking for a Digital Camera for about one month now; it will be my first Digital Camera. I have narrowed down my search to three different cameras: the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3, the Olympus C-765 UZ, and the Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2. I have read different reviews on all of these cameras. I have went to my local camera store and played around with all of them and I still can't decide.

From pictures I have seen the Olympus has the best picture quality, but I may be mistaken or those may have just been good photographs and that is not what it really produces most of the time. While the Panasonics seem to be sharp but noisy. I have heard that this is not a big deal since there is free software to take away noise. Is this true? The Minolta seems to be in the middle quality wise. Image Stabilization is not a necessity for me. I will mostly be using it for landscapes and animal shots. Though I may have the occasional portrait.

I would like to know what camera of these three you think is the best and why? Pros and Cons would be very nice. If you have another suggestion that is around the price of those please feel free to say. Thank you in advance for you time and consideration.

JamEs
nitroice0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2004, 12:31 PM   #2

nitroice0069 wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I have been looking for a Digital Camera for about one month now; it will be my first Digital Camera. I have narrowed down my search to three different cameras: the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3, the Olympus C-765 UZ, and the Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2. I have read different reviews on all of these cameras. I have went to my local camera store and played around with all of them and I still can't decide.

From pictures I have seen the Olympus has the best picture quality, but I may be mistaken or those may have just been good photographs and that is not what it really produces most of the time. While the Panasonics seem to be sharp but noisy. I have heard that this is not a big deal since there is free software to take away noise. Is this true? The Minolta seems to be in the middle quality wise. Image Stabilization is not a necessity for me. I will mostly be using it for landscapes and animal shots. Though I may have the occasional portrait.

I would like to know what camera of these three you think is the best and why? Pros and Cons would be very nice. If you have another suggestion that is around the price of those please feel free to say. Thank you in advance for you time and consideration.

JamEs
I think the best ultra-zoom around that price range is the Canon S1 IS or the Panasonic DMC-FZ3 (Canon has average image quality so if you care about that, ignore that).

There are software to fix noise but I wouldn't really rely on that (too much extra work, no guarantee that it will work, etc).

I am personally going to buy the Canon S1 IS (because of movie mode mainly). BUT of the ones you listed, I would go with the Panasonic. It has image stabilization, 12x zoom, high-quality zoom (fixed very low aperature throughout its zoom), etc... what sucks about it is the small viewfinder (same as other cameras), proprietary battery, average movie mode (at least compared to Canon), etc...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote