Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 26, 2004, 12:04 AM   #1

I just can't decide which onone these I should buy. I know they are a liitle different but here my reasoning-

I would like the Rebel because to simply put it, its a DSLR. And I know that it produces quality photos. The down is the part that I have to change lenses and need to manually focus. THese are ok for when you have being creative, but not so good when you have kids that you are shooting.

The FZ20 is a camera getting some great reviews ( and a few not so good ) but this camera does has a nice zoom and has said to take photos close to that of an SLR.

I just don't want to waste my money on one that I will be disappointed with. I want good qualilty prints. So please help and tell me which one I should buy.
Rprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2004, 10:10 AM   #2

My best advice to you is to go to the camera shop and try some out. Take your own memory cards with you so you can take a few photos in the store and then take them home, look at them on your computer screen or even print a few for comparison. You could also purchase one of these camera's from a local store that offers a trial period where you can return the camera for a full refund if not completely satisfied. That's what many on these forums seem to do and to me, this is a very good idea.

I have had my FZ20 for less than a week and am still learning all about it. So far I am happy with it but I am still trying to learn the settings and features. I think it's going to be a great camera for me to learn and grow with. Eventually, I'd like a DSLR but I am not ready for one yet. I still wanted a camera that could still be used in auto setting without much fussing to get good photos . Like you, many of my photos are of my two kids and they are always on the go so that gives me no time for messing about with manual settings. I'll leave the more 'creative' work for landscapes, macro's, etc, etc.

I think the FZ20 is worth you looking at. It's a very nice camera. Like I said, see if you can purchase one and give it a trial run and if you don't like it, return it and get something else. Everyone has a different idea of what they like and don't like. Only you can decide which camera is going to be the best for you.

Happy shopping!

Snaphappy1
snaphappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 10:17 AM   #3

I'd get the Rebel, it's easy to use and has plenty of auto settings. However I would only get an SLR if you intend to learn more and not just stay on autoand to get more lenses for it.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 10:57 AM   #4

I'll second aladyforty. If you want to progress past manual settings, eventually, then go with the Rebel. You can leave it on full auto and/or use some of the automated creative modes (portrait, landscape, sports, etc) and never have to 'fuss' with manual settings. Focus on the rebel is fully automatic so that is not an issue. However, if you don't want to progress more than having a camera that takes high-quality snap-shots then don't buy the rebel. Both cameras will take great snap-shots but if you envision down the road shooting your kids playing sports or the like then definitely go with the Rebel - you'll need an SLR for those more complicated tasks. So make your decision with an eye for 2 years down the road as well as today.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 2:17 PM   #5

Looking down the road for two years is like a lifetime in digital cameras. Buy the camera that suits you best at this time. Two years from now you may well want a different one and the way the technology is going it will certainly not be a camera that is for sale today.

I am currently planning on buying the FZ20 as my second digital camera. I still have my old film slr. I recall that I used to lug the slr around with three lenses and a large flash. The advantage of something like the FZ20 is its reasonably light and compact and you have 90% of what you want without having to lug the slr stuff.

Finally I don't think you will go wrong with either.
dtaneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 10:56 PM   #6

Well I made my decision and..................I bought the Fz20. The reason was that I was not quite ready to go DSLR. I agreed with dtaneri (before I read the reply) that I do want to buy a DSLR in the future, however for right now I just want to get a good feel for a digitial camera without fooling around with changing the lenses. And I felt that A year or two from now when I am ready the newer DSLRs will be better and therefore ready for me. THanks for everyone's input!!!!
Rprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 6:07 AM   #7

enjoy the new camera, I had two prosumer digitals before I went to the SLR and I still use my G3 sometimes.:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 12:59 PM   #8

DSLRs and prosumer cameras are in totally different leagues. You can't really compare them... If anything, I would expect you to compare a high-end prosumer camera (one of the Konica Minolta, Canon Poweshot Pro1, or something like that) to the Rebel...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote