Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 26, 2004, 11:11 PM   #1

Hello,

I posted this is in another forum in a different site, didn't get a response, trying again here:

Here is my situation:

My sister had a new baby. I would like to give her a digital camera so she and my bro-in-law can snap pics of my nephew indiscriminately and send them to me and my parents who live elsewhere.

Now I'd like your suggestion in deciding a camera model among those that I shortlisted - Canon A95, Minolta G600. This is to make it easy when I solicit advice from experienced people.

My questions
1. Since the camera is primarily going to be used indoors, atleast for the first few months, which of the above handles indoor, available light shots better ?

2. The Canon A95 has a swivel screen; I'm sure this is very handy for baby shots. How big of a handicap is it when you don't have it ? Can this feature be overlooked ?

3. I don't expect them to do prints too often, but when they do, it will definitely be 8 x 10. Which of the above is better suited for this without resulting in a blurred/artifacted picture ?

4. Finally, which of the two results in vivid colors and life like images on a good computer monitor AND in prints done professionally ?

I checked Pbase.com, photosig etc for sample images, but most of those samples are snapshots that didn't help me decide. I welcome any other suggestion as well. I'll be buying the camera from buydig.com, if this would help you help me.

Thank you in advance.

-R.
findandreplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2004, 9:40 PM   #2
Administrator

Neither one of these cameras is really suitable for existing light photographs indoors without a flash or tripod.

To get fast enough shutter speeds to minimize motion blur, you need high ISO speeds and a bright lens. The small sensors used in these models will have high noise as ISO speeds are increased, and the lenses aren't very bright to begin with (especially as more zoom is used).

If you really need existing light photographs of a newborn baby (and youdon't want to use a flash), your best bet would be one of the Digital SLR models. The two lowest priced models right now are the Nikon D70 and Canon Digital Rebel. You'll also need a bright lens to go with one. I'd suggest a 50mm f/1.8 lens for existing light shooting on a budget.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 7:55 AM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Neither one of these cameras is really suitable for existing light photographs indoors without a flash or tripod.
Although JimC's reply is correct I don't think is the rigth option for the aimed users.

Why would I buy a 1000 cc sports bike to my girlfriend if she only knows the basics of riding? She can ride it, but can she use 40% of its potencial???

Between the two I would go for the G600, BUT I like to work with the manual settings. For many people this is a PITA, so the A95 may be the rigth choice for you.

I don't know if Jim knows (I'm sure he does), but the A95 comes with an AF assist ligth, so indoors pics are easier to take, but only in the flash range, depending on the ISO settings.

Check out Steve's reviews on these models. I find the A95 to have a slightly better image quality.
ttretas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 9:26 AM   #4

Which camera did u buy finally?
jude_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 1:04 AM   #5

A95 for them and K10D for myself.
findandreplace is offline   Reply With Quote