Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 27, 2004, 7:32 PM   #1

ok after a lil research ive narrowed my choices down to these models. The Pentax Optio S5i, Casio Exilim EX-Z55, Canon S500, and Nikon Coolpix 5200. Obviously I'm interested in a 5 MP slim digital camera. I would like my camera to have the video w/audio feature, red eye reduction, be able to snap one picture after another fairly quickly, adjustable shutter speed (I've had camera's where this wasn't adjustable and lots of pictures turned out very blurry), good battery life and great picture quality. Oh and I can't forget, a camera that is durable. I've seen a camera (I think it's the Canon S400?) where you can focus any point (not just the center) on the LCD screen, I would like this camera to have this feature if possible. Hopefully with your help I can either make a decision or at least narrow it down even more. Thanks for the input guys (and gals).
doinsd619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2004, 11:27 PM   #2
rp3

The Pentax does not have a quick shot to shot time. Steve reviewed it and it took 4 seconds between shots. In 2000 odd shots I have taken, this wouldn't have made a difference to me once but you mentioned it as a desire.

You mentioned the Canon S400 as a camera you used and liked. The S500 is a higher model of the same camera. It seems like the choice you know the most about.

The casio is capable. So is the Nikon.
rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 7:16 PM   #3

> I've seen a camera (I think it's the Canon S400?) where you
> can focus any point (not just the center) on the LCD screen

This may not be as useful as it seems. I suspect that all of the cameras allow you to press the shutter half way down to acquire focus, then the rest of the way to shoot. So all you have to do is aim at the point where you want to focus, press the shutter half way down, then shift to your subject and shoot. I think that's going to be a lot faster than turning on the menus, switching to the menu for focal point, setting the focal point, aiming, shooting, then going back to the menu to reset for the next shot.
ameyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 5:01 AM   #4

Look at the Canon S60 and S70. Good controls and wide angle lens too. I haven't any personal experience but on paper it look good.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote