Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 29, 2004, 1:09 PM   #1

As the subject suggests, I am ready for a new camera to use at concerts. I have a Fuji 3800 that stops action with the flash up, the results are dark and lack the colour of the lights and the stage. The redish/brown of indoor lights.

I have found several camers that I can control the shutter speed, f-stop and ISO independent of each other (I am currently liking the Olympus 765) but I read thatthe 765 has rather poor low light performance.

SO I AM OPEN TO SUGGESTION: What areYOU using for digital pictures at concerts?

THANKS - Craig
PS: I am looking in the $300 to $400 range.
chouck@binghamton.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2004, 9:56 PM   #2

I've just recently used the Minolta Z3 at a very dark concert - round stage, no background, performer wearing dark navy blue suit, backlit most of the time. I only had the camera a couple of days before the show and made the mistake of setting the ISO to 400. I could have/should have fiddled with the aperture instead. Anyway, with a shutter speed of 1/160 and at 12x zoom, I got a bunch of shots that look like this one.

On my Sony dye-sub phot printer, they look great. On screen they look great. But, from ofoto and others, the noise from the ISO 400 setting is enhanced and they came out terribly.

Shrinking the picture made it look bad, so I'll try to post a section of it also.
Attached Images

zzcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 10:00 PM   #3

a snip, uncompressed.
Attached Images

zzcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:27 AM   #4

I may be misunderstanding part of your post...I think the shot you sent looks fantastic. ISO setting aside. It is exactly what I am looking for, use of the stage lighting that gives a realistic shot of the concert.

Thanks -- Craig
chouck@binghamton.edu is offline   Reply With Quote