Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 30, 2004, 10:09 PM   #1

I have a Canon35mm Rebel with 2 Canon lensesand I am planning to upgrade to a DSLR. I was looking at the Digital Rebel because I can use my existing lenses. LatelyI've noticed that the prce of the 10D seems to be coming down now that it's been discontinued. There doesn't seem to be much difference in price between the Rebel with the kit lens and the 10D (body only). I'mwondering if there's any drawback in opting for the discontinued 10D over the Rebel and just using my existing Canon lenses? Any thoughts?
stevemartin52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2004, 11:16 PM   #2

With a firmware "upgrade" you can get the Rebel to do most of the extra things the 10d can do... I'd go for the Rebel.

Of course if you can afford a little more, there's always the 20D.
EnglishBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 3:51 PM   #3

I went through the same decision process and ended up witha new 10D body from Canon dealer for just a few hundred more than the Rebel body. Big difference when it comes to look and feel. I happen across a 20D after the fact it is very nice also.I still use my Canon A80 religiously because it's so compact and versatile. But I've missed the feel and through-the-lens viewing as in the SLR especially when you start using reading glasses. As for wide angle guessI'll keep my Elan loaded for those few special occasions as the 1.6 multiplier does leave a little to be desired but thats the way it is.

Enjoy..

OverTheHill-CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 8:59 PM   #4

The Rebel must be a great camera and take excellent pics, but it feels very cheap. I bet it won't keep the resale value near as much as other comparable "metal" cameras.
El_Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:00 PM   #5

thanks to all of you. I think the 10D is what I'm going with.
stevemartin52 is offline   Reply With Quote