Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 31, 2004, 11:29 AM   #1

I posted on the Fuji area of this site, and realized this may have been a better location for it.... here's my post:

OK, just bought the S7000 this morning. Our previous digicam was an old Kodak Dx3600 which finally took a fataldive off the counter.

We're used to "turn it on, point and shoot." We bought the S7000 after reading all the great reviews, and positive recommendations for the "newbie" camera owner. Hubby and I figured it might be nice to have some added features.

We took it to a halloween party this evening and are incredibly disappointed. We kept all the settings at "auto." (even the flash) Unless everything is perfectly still, the pictures are a blur. After reading te recommendations inso many posts this evening,fiddling around with ISO settings, manual mode, AF /MF, and AE stuff (most of these things I don't even know what they are/do) seems like a complete headache when all I want is to get some great pictures of the kids that I can print, share, and potentially enlarge. The kids aren't going to wait for me to changea bunch of settings.

I love technology, but would hope that "auto" mode on this camera would take a lot of the thought out of it for us. It doesn't seem tobe that easy. I'm thinking we bought way more camera that we need. Thoughts? Any recommendations?:?

Thanks all!!
J

P.S. Here's our criteria if you have any other recommendations (in order of preference):
1) Faster shutter speed (than our old Kodak)
2) Better zoom (Kodak had 2x)
3) Better MP (Kodak had 2.1 MP)
4) Traditional Camera look/feel
5) Price <$800
What'll we use it for?:
1) Pictures of family gatherings, kids, activities - y'all know the stuff
2) Pictures of hubby's r/c planes (on ground AND in the air)
3) Printing pics, holiday gift pictures (enlarged, say 8x10), and sharing on web/PC
Technical abilities?:
I'm savvy with a PC, but the camera has so many variables, I need "dummy" mode. Hubby is better and enjoys the occasional fiddling - must go back to his school newspaper days......:-)
THANKS again!!

OsbornFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2004, 12:28 PM   #2
Administrator

OsbornFamily wrote:
Quote:
I posted on the Fuji area of this site, and realized this may have been a better location for it.... here's my post:

OK, just bought the S7000 this morning. Our previous digicam was an old Kodak Dx3600 which finally took a fataldive off the counter.

We're used to "turn it on, point and shoot." We bought the S7000 after reading all the great reviews, and positive recommendations for the "newbie" camera owner. Hubby and I figured it might be nice to have some added features.

We took it to a halloween party this evening and are incredibly disappointed. We kept all the settings at "auto." (even the flash) Unless everything is perfectly still, the pictures are a blur.
Well.... I'd suggest we try to figure out why your photos were blurred before anything else.

It sounds like motion blur from your description (moving subjects blurred).

If you were using a flash, and the surroundings were relatively dark, then the flash itself should have had the impact of freezing the action (regardless of the shutter speed used).

So, if you were getting motion blur at a nightime party with flash, then something else must be wrong (too much ambient light; or camera increasing ISO speed enough for ambient light exposure to see blur, etc.).

Can you post a sample photo or two(unmodified in any way by an editor) somewhere showing the problem? There is probably a simple setting that could be changed to eliminate the problem in the same conditions.

If you don't have a web site to post a photo to, you can open a free trial account at http://www.pbase.com . It will give you enough disk space to post a sample photo or two (you'll see menus to use to browse you local drive for photos to upload). Then, just give us a link to the album and we can see the EXIF (part of the image files that gives camera settings used).

I don't see anything unusual about the S7000 behavior when looking through samples. So, we probably need to get to the bottom of what is causing your problem before you try a different camera (since most models are going to have similar behaviorin the same conditions).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 2:12 PM   #3

Thank you! I'll work on getting some pics uploaded after this post. The halloween party was in a gym - fluorescent lighting....(not dark as this was foryounger kids)
What I've learned additionally from this forum which may help us in the future.....(please correct me if I'm off) is thatif you're using a camera >4 MP, always use the flash indoors.
With our old camera - I could count on one hand the number of photos we had blurred. (fast horses or cars) And I know the old camera is technologically inferior to this one.
It looks like I'm missing something serious in my camera education, and I'm already feeling like my head is going to explode :O
THANK YOU again - I'll get some pictures posted.
Happy Halloween.
J
OsbornFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 2:30 PM   #4
Administrator

OsbornFamily wrote:
Quote:
Thank you! I'll work on getting some pics uploaded after this post. The halloween party was in a gym - fluorescent lighting....(not dark as this was foryounger kids)
What I've learned additionally from this forum which may help us in the future.....(please correct me if I'm off) is thatif you're using a camera >4 MP, always use the flash indoors.
With our old camera - I could count on one hand the number of photos we had blurred. (fast horses or cars) And I know the old camera is technologically inferior to this one.
It looks like I'm missing something serious in my camera education, and I'm already feeling like my head is going to explode :O
THANK YOU again - I'll get some pictures posted.
Happy Halloween.
J
Well... figuring out what is going wrong is usually pretty simple -- once you have a basic understanding of how exposure works. The camera must keep the shutter open long enough for proper exposure of the image (otherwise, the photo will be underexposed).This will depend on 3 factors: ISO speed (the sensitivity of the sensor to light), aperture setting (the size of the iris that the light is being transmitted through), and lighting levels.

So, indoors without a flash, you'll usually need to increase ISO speed substantially to get shutter speeds fast enough to prevent motion blur (and increasing ISO speed will add noise).

However, when a flash is used, the rules are a little different. In most cases when you use a flash, there is not enough ambient light for the subject to be exposed at the camera settings used (aperture, shutter speed, ISO speed).

So, regardless of shutter speeds used, a flash tends to freeze the action (since the subject is only exposed during the flash burst, which is usually very short -- around 1/1000 to 1/10000 second in duration).

When you can run into a problem is when you have too much ambient light with flash. Then, you sometimes get enough ambient light to see subject movement from exposure from other light sources. That's what I suspect you are seeing. Let's look at the camera settings used first.

If I had to guess (based strictly on your description), the camera was boosting ISO speed indoors, and it has a relatively bright lens (much brighter than your Kodak's when using zoom). So, it probably allowed for some ambient light exposure of your subjects. Also, because you have a more powerful zoom lens, motion blur from camera shake would be more pronounced as more zoom is used (because more magnification amplifies camera movement).

If this is what caused it (motion blur from ambient light exposure), you could probably set ISO speed to a lower value to correct it for subjects within the flash range in better indoor lighting. If you were outside of the flash range, then you'd need to do the opposite (increase ISO speed). Gym lighting is probably the hardest lighting to take a photo in (not good enough for taking photos without flash unless you increase ISO speed to amounts that will increase noise levels;and too good unless settings are "just right" with flash).

But, before I jump to any conclusions, let's take a look at the photos and settings.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 5:48 PM   #5

Some additional thoughts..

That S7000 should do the trick unless it's out right broke but I would guess you just have to grown into it. I used point and shoot most of the time with mine Canon A40 and A80 pictures come out great most of the time provided the shake indicator isn't on or I was just out of focus to begin with!

You had 2x factor zoom an now a 6x.. (35 mm 210 mm) that's a killer in low light.. refrain from full zooming at first rather set range a midpoint for starters, subject at 6 to 12 feet away in fairly dark room then try the same in a well lighted area perhaps a kitchen.

Review states that "The built in flash must be manually "popped up" by pressing the release button when required."

Might review the manual pertaining to basic operations for starters. The rest if an when it applicable.

Enjoy

OverTheHill-CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 7:47 AM   #6

I agree.

The only 2 thing I can see wrong with your blurred photos is that you didn't "pop" the flash up manually and camera shake.

I've a Oly C-770UZ with a similar manually "popped up" flash. Made the same mistake a few times before realising the problem. In normal indoor fluorescent light condition, the ambient lighting is not enough for the camera, a flash is needed to freeze the subject or else you'll get a blurred photo.

If you have the camera on max tele, camera shake is a problem as mentioned by JimC. Small movements are magnified at max telephoto thus the blurred photos.

Please advise if this helps to solve your problem.

Thon is offline   Reply With Quote