Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 31, 2004, 1:46 PM   #1

I need some opinions about both cams, which one is better to buy?

Thanks in advance!
phase3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2004, 5:18 PM   #2

If you are looking at ultra-zooms, have you also considered the Panasonic DMC-FZ15 (and the more expensive DMC-FZ20)? If you can live with lower megapixel (3MP), you should also consider Canon Powershot S1 IS and Panasonic DMC-FZ3. The Canon and Panasonic have image stabilization (very useful at high zoom or low-light) while the two you mentioned don't. Also, have you considered the Konica Minolta Z3?

If we just look at the two that you mentioned, I think the hp looks better (do note that the hp costs US$50 more). The hp is 5 MP vs 4 megapixel (for the Konica Minolta Z2), and the hp has 2" LCD with 180,000 pixels vs 1.5" with 113,000 pixels (for Z2). However, the Konica seems to have far better movie mode (don't know if you care about that).

Having said that, my favourites in the ultra-zoom category are the Canon S1 IS (I bought this last week) and Panasonic DMC-FZ3 but these are only 3 megapixels. If I had to go into higher MP, I like the Panasonic DMC-FZ15 and Panasonic DMC-FZ20. I don't like the Konica Minolta Z2 and hP Photosmart 945 because they don't have image stabilization...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 9:36 PM   #3

Thanks a lot for your help, I'm going to check those panasonic models or see if I can get a Z3 or that canon.

Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:26 PM   #4

Another question the DMC-FZ3 can't use Sony NIMH rechargable batteries?
Old Oct 31, 2004, 11:29 PM   #5

phase3 wrote:
Quote:
Another question the DMC-FZ3 can't use Sony NIMH rechargable batteries?
No, the Panasonic FZ series use proprietary rechargeable lithium ion batteries.

propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 2:13 AM   #6

In what can only be described as being a dumb move, the HP 945 has no Manual Exposure mode.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 11:54 AM   #7

I see, but that's no prob I can get another lithium pack battery. I have been checking photos taken with the FZ3 and they look very nice quality really..

I don't like the quality of the HP 945.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 5:03 PM   #8

As a Z2 owner...I can tell you a few things about it...It is lousy in low light! It can't lock focus or it says its locked but pics are blurry...It's great outdoors or in good lighting. I would recommend a cam with AF assist light personally.

The movie mode on the Z2 is great, we use it all the time, get a big SD Card (an ultra fast one is better for recording those high res images)!

It's nice and light and feels great in the hands. Focus really fast, when it can. The zoom is great. If it had a focus assist light, it would be pretty much perfect for me.

The Lumix cams have an awesome lens but are a bit on the heavy side...Have you considered the Fuji S5100?
2sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 6:04 PM   #9

FZ-3 is about the same size as the KM-2/3. However, it does not have manual focus, but does have focus assist light so it does well in low light modes. If you can check them out in the stores, I found the FZ-3 too small but you may have smaller hands. It also doesn't have hot shoe, but works quite well, I've been told, with slave flashes. It also can take a 55 mm filter uv right away. And there is the zoom and image stabilization. See www.dcresource.com as well as this site for comparizon. www.dpreview.com's review of the FZ-3 does include a comparison with the KM-2. FZ-3 appears to have better resolution than most 3 MP cameras (see that review).

Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 11:11 PM   #10

S5100 seems good camera but the FZ3 have more zoom, image stabilizer and also I think the image quality is much better, I like the leens hood it brings, plus it uses sd cards (cheaper than xD), I'm planning to get a 512 sd II card.

I hope I'm not wrong