Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 1, 2004, 9:30 AM   #1

Hello, I just bought a Sony P150...I am not an expert and wanted a good point and shoot. I was taking some Halloween shots and various other shots and had to dump about 15% of my pictures....there was red eye in a lot of them. My baby boy has really bright blue eyes and he looked like the devil in most of the pics!!! There was also a focusing problem for me. I tried to hold the camera still and it didn't focus as well as I had expected. I used the easy fully auto setting.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I also think the pictures look pretty grainy in the backgrounds and don't really live up to the hype of the reviews. I was wondering what other camera to exchange this one for...maybe the Canon A95???

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Please help...my wife is very upset with this purchase!
sperk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:12 AM   #2
Administrator

I hate to tell you this. But, virtually all small cameras will suffer from redeye in some conditions. Chances are, the A95 would be just as bad or worse. Here is someone complaining about the A75 (which by some reviewers accounts, is better at handling redeye compared to the newer A95):

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

As a general rule, the closer to the lens the flash is located, the worse the redeye. Even much larger models (i.e., Canon G5) can still suffer from redeye using the built in flash.

The best solution is a model that supports an external flash, located further away from the camera's lens.

Using the redeye reduction flash mode will help some (as the preflashes will help to shrink the pupils). This usually reduces (but does not always eliminate redeye). In better light, it shouldn't be quite as bad. The distance to the camera can also be a factor (usually it's not as bad when you're closer with most models).

So, with a small model, your best bet is to use software to correct it. Many image editors can do this quickly and easily.

BTW, there are some cameras with redeye correction built in now:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...nikon4200.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...nikon5200.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/hp_r707.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:53 AM   #3

Sperk, you just bought a top notch P&S camera. Once you get the hand of it you will be very happy.

As stated by Mr. JimC, the best cure to red eye is software correction (easy and fast). Also if you use the redeye reduction flash mode the pupils will look much natural after the correction (smaller)
El_Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 11:35 AM   #4

Here is my issue with the camera.

My last was a Sony DSC-P72 and the fully auto setting was great....I hardly got any red eye. Now (even with the reduction turned on) I get itquite a bit more often. I am not that experienced and to play around with the manual settings is not in my best intentions. SO, I was wondering if there was a better alternative for me.

Are there any other p150 owners that have these same issues?
sperk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 9:04 PM   #5

sperk99 wrote:
Quote:

Are there any other p150 owners that have these same issues?*
I have a P150. I took both; nice pictures and lots of trash too. In my case the problem is not with the arrow but with the "indian" :lol:
El_Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:54 AM   #6

If you look under the Sony forum you will see my first impressions of the P150 which were a bit like the curate's egg. However, I am getting more and more frustrated with this camera and its inability to take even reasonable flash pictures. While seeking a hotel for my club outing I took the time to frame shots, but everyone came out blurred due to shutter speed. Loads of my indoors shots are rubbish, but the outdoor ones, with sufficient light, are very good. Sharp and well focused.

I had an Olympus 5060 which was stolen unfortunately, and having a D70 anyway I bought this for its convenient size. I am beginning to think I wasted my money, since while the Olympus is bigger but has only 5mp, it was by far and awaya better camera indoors or out with the added bonus of a wide angle lens.

In conclusion, I have a camera which I now leave in the glove box of the car for odd moments, since if I am doing any indoor work I am forced to use the D70 and proper flash.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote