Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 4, 2004, 5:17 PM   #11

The problem is that C770UZ cannot effectively be used for video since those xD cards are so expensive. You want to keep that in mind when you use 640x480 video as a factor in purchasing cameras. The Panasonics use cheap SD cards.
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 8:29 AM   #12

I'd agree that xDs are a bit more expensive than SDs, initially.

However, I've bought a couple of 128MB xDs (Olympus) from a camera retailer at about $50 each (after conversion) and it's only about $5 more than same size SDs, and that's about 10 months ago. The cost of memory will continue to drop as we speak. The size of the memory you need actually depends on how you intend to use it.

I find that a 128MB is actually sufficient for a 4mp camera for about 130 HQ 4MP photos. I never keep/store my photos on the cards for a long time, and download them to my PC and burn into CDs.

In fact, 1 point that many fail to point out is that the cost of the memory per photo is actually negligible if you take a lot of photos. I've taken at least 2000 pics (not including movies) on the 2 xDs so that's about $0.05 per photo and the cost keeps going down the more photos I take.

I wouldn't let the slightly higher cost of certain memory cards limit the choice of digicams that I like.
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 9:17 AM   #13

I agree with you if you are taking pictures. I only meant my comment as to the video. The 128 Mb will not get you many VGA minutes. While an 1Gb SD Card is now for apx $60. Thats a lot of video if you buy a couple.
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 1:51 AM   #14

fujifilm s5500 has all of that!

640*480*30fps moviemode, no interpolation, and you can record movies aslong

as your memory doesnt run out of size.

It uses xd-card which is a bit more expensive then sd's. Thats the only bad thing about my camera right now i think.

In steves review here, he also gets vignetting on his pictures, but i havent got that on my pictures, so im not sure if Fuji have fixed that?

No sign of it at either macro, normal, or 10x zoom.

mintosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 4:01 AM   #15

The problems with the Fuji S-5500 (S-5100 in North America) are:

Crappy Macro - listed minimum distance is 4 inches - and I was only able to focus at 6 inches on the one I tested.

Automatic White Balance is overactive. Two shots of the same subject one minute apart yielded significantly different color.

Focus-assist light is only good to about 6 feet.

Vignetting (top left corner)seen not only on Steve's sample photos here, but on other websites, as well.

I like the ergonomics of the camera, and the RAW option, and the menu's good... but the above flaws cross it off my list.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote