Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 1, 2004, 12:38 PM   #1

Hello All!

Iam a dad of two looking to replace my Canon S30 (loved it). I used the movie mode often with our kids as we found them doing something and wanted to get it on video quick, but the quality is horrible. I have an old VHS-C camcorder but don't want to lug it around too...that led me to looking into a new camera. I do 75% pics and 25% video, so I won't buy a camcorder.Here is what I would LOVE to hit on in terms of specs:

1. 4 megapixels or better

2. Better than 3x optical zoom, with the ability to live zoom when recording movies.

3. 640X480 30fps with no limit (or no 30 second limit at least)

4. Good quality pics, I am no pro and have been VERY happy with my pics from my S30.

I love the Canon S1 it hits every wish I have but it is 3.2 megapixels. I have a hard time buying a new camera with the same (roughly) pixel rendering as my current camera...unless you think the 10X optical will make up for it. I usually find myself cropping photos to get closer, and 85% of my photos are printed on 4X6. But I REALLY want to jump up on my megapixel count. Also, would the higher pixel count make up for the lack of zoom.....hmmmm

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you so much.
markyoung04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2004, 1:59 PM   #2
sdh

well, I think most recent Sony camerasclaim to have640 x 480 @ 30fps, but before buying a Sony for it's movie mode Id check out the thread in the Sony forum where there is strong evidence suggesting that Sony's 640 x 480 is really an interpolated 320 x 240!!
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 2:18 PM   #3
TC3

I have the Kyocera M410R thats meets your needs and it is pretty good but am sure there are others out there too
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 2:47 PM   #4

I don't know about the regular cameras but if you are into ultra-zooms, there is the Konica Minolta Z2 and Z3... BUT I'm not sure if they can zoom while shooting video... have to check that...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:57 AM   #5

I am on the way to check out the Z3, looks like a great option to the S1, and it has 4 mp....weeee. That is what I was looking for! Small diff is the S1 has a swival mounted LCD, so you can use it like a camcorder, but that is no means a deal breaker...I really like what I have read, now lets hope it feels "good" in my grubby little paws. Yes, you can zoom in while video taping as well

Anyone using the z3?

Old Nov 2, 2004, 12:55 PM   #6

The Nikon Coolpix 5200 is 5MP, and has 30FPS VGA video I believe.
Snarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:05 PM   #7

sdh wrote:
Quote:
well, I think most recent Sony cameras claim to have 640 x 480 @ 30fps, but before buying a Sony for it's movie mode Id check out the thread in the Sony forum where there is strong evidence suggesting that Sony's 640 x 480 is really an interpolated 320 x 240!!
i really hope the v1 isn't like that! i've just ordered it from ebuyer......
kjeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 12:56 AM   #8

The Z2 has a better movie mode than the Z3, and the Z2 also has better image quality in still photos than the Z3 from what I've seen. But the body on the Z3 feels noticeably more solid than the Z2.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Olympus C-770? In my opinion, it has better image quality (still photos)than either the Z2 or Z3, and its movie mode is second to none. From the criteria you listed, this may be what you're seeking. Take a look at it...
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 1:36 PM   #9

I just got back from playing with the Z3 and it seems impressive, like the feel of it and the controls seem like something a newbie like me as well as my wife can use. The Z2 does not have the image stability...that concerns me when you start zooming that far...

Concerning the C-770, are you able to zoom while shooting video? I REALLY like that. I looked at the Fuji E500 (I think that was it), and it was very similar to the Z3 in terms of features but did not zoom on video - seems likea shame to lose that 10/12X optical zoom capibility... If the C-770 does that then it certainly looks appealing.

I don't mean to focus all decisions on video, but the way I look at is most of these seem to be good cameras with at least 4mps and at least 8X zoom, which will give me all I need for what I use it for...so the huge extra bonus of the best video features will make or break a decision.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 7:42 AM   #10

I agree with EOS RT.

I own an Oly C770UZ, which has all the features that you are looking for. And it's very compact too, the smallest 10X ultra zoom you can buy.

The best thing about it is that the Oly can capture MPEG4 640X480 30fps movies with no limit. HOWEVER, the optical zoom is disable when sound recording is switch on, which can be rectified with an external microphone. Digital zoom is available though and can be activated via the menu. Advantage of MPEG4 is the smaller file size compared to Quicktime.

Another factor to consider is Image Stabilisation (IS), especially for handheld shots at over 6x. This is where Pana FZ-series and KM Z-series have an advantage.

Anyway, hope you find the right camera.
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote