Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 1, 2004, 12:52 PM   #1

Ok...I'm very unhappy with my Sony P150 and would like some input on what to exchange it for???
sperk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:48 PM   #2

I returned my Sony P150 for the Canon S70 after much deliberation, and am very glad I did. The sony had problems with the lens almost immediately (about 16 hours) after I bought it. I returned it and bought the Canon S70. We were leaving for Thailand the next day, so I didn't have much time to decide what to get, and ended up at Ritz at the mall spending more than I had planned.

You can see my Thailand pictures, all taken with the Canon S70 at http://www.suthard.com if you like. I'm no professional photographer, and I really like the different settings (esp. the white balance settings) that Canon offers. None of these photos were altered.

The Sony was perhaps a little faster than the Canon, and certainly smaller, but I just didn't trust the body and construction not to fail me. The Canon seems much more sturdy. My Canon S40 lasted me almost 3 years, covered with scratches and dents, but still working fine. The Sony slipped off the front seat into the floorboard of my car WHILE IN IT'S CASE and stopped working.

Anyhow, good luck with your decision! Feel free to ask me any ??s.

Holly.
hsuthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:49 PM   #3

I should also mention that the reason I'm searching these boards today is to find out how to control the noise in my pictures, but I had this same issue with the Sony.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 9:34 AM   #4

I have the s70 and a95 at home right now...I can't seem to find much difference in the controls except the s70 has wideangle, 7 mp and I guess more manual controls. The A95 seems to be more user friendly and I like the scene modes. The S70 has no special scene modes so it seems to be more of a beginner. Holly, did you do that shooting on auto or how do you shoot your pics on the fly...

Thanks
Old Nov 3, 2004, 10:39 AM   #5

Most of those pics were on auto, I tend to use the P mode alot and set the white balance, and let the camera figure out everything else. I've found that, especially for indoor shots, setting the white balance to the appropriate lighting used makes a huge difference.

The wide angle on the S70 was a large part of what made my decision. For travel shots, a wide angle can make all the difference. Or for shooting indoors, for that matter.

I tend to do a lot of cropping after getting my pictures, so I'm enjoying the 7mp for that reason. Although the noise is a bit of a problem. I had hoped that even when zoomed in fairly close the resolution/sharpness would be better.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 1:50 PM   #6

Aha! I figured out my noise issue. Many of the pics on our website were also shot with the ISO set to 400. Many reviewers agreed that higher ISO settings produce more noticeable noise. I'm going to adjust the ISO to 50 and see how that affects my shots. Nevertheless, I'm still very happy with the camera.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 3:14 PM   #7

I made my decision...a95 all the way

The s70 was really nice but I did notice the distortion of the wide angle lense. Although it was nice to capture more of a scene, I did not want to lose picture quality. Compared with the a95 in identical shooting locations, the s70 produced softer and darker images. The a95's seemed to "pop" more and that decided it for me.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 9:35 PM   #8

My new S70 has quite a lot of distortion at the wide angle setting. I am wondering if this amount of distortion is more than normal?

Harry
Attached Images

harrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:04 PM   #9

What made you so unhappy with the P150?
I love mine
SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 2:58 PM   #10

I'm not sure about that distortion. That seems pretty pronounced to me. I haven't noticed it yet in my shots, but haven't tried to test it yet.

As I said in my post, my P150 didn't seem very well constructed, as it broke very easily. That, and the model in the store was broken as well, made me a little scared. Otherwise, it was a very nice camera. I really miss the movie quality. The canon only does 320x240 at 15fps -- not nearly as good.