Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 1, 2004, 3:36 PM   #1

Hi friends! I´m spanish and my english is very limited, i´m sorry. I would buy a digital camera and these are my candidats:

- Panasonic FZ3

- Olympus C-765

I read the reviews but i´m confused :?. I´m not sure what is more important, if 1mpx+, manual focus, best video modeand many manual optionsin the Olympus, or image stabilizer, AF lamp, x12 zoom, fast response and more compatible memory card in the Panasonic. The cost is similar, about 350 €. What do you think about this? Any other suggestions?

Very thanks
Roldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2004, 7:14 PM   #2

This is a very tough decision. I'm a big fan of the Panasonic DMC-FZ3 (and the FZ20) but it's hard to say which is better between these two. If *I* had to buy something, I would go with the Panasonic because it has good lens (eg. aperture fixed at 2.8F throughout the whole zoom, if I'm not mistaken) and has image stabilization. I'm a big fan of image stabilization (because I don't plan to use tripods) but some people think it's junk. So it all depends on what you value.

Sooo... I would go with the Panasonic but I'm very biased towards it
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:33 AM   #3

Very thanks for your opinion.
Quote:
all depends on what you value
That's the problem. Willbe my first digital camera and I don't know thatis more important. The quality of the lens are very similar and the results are pretty goods.

Do you consider an other ultrazoom options in this range?

Thanks
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:14 PM   #4

I actually bought my first camera last week. I decided on the ultra-zooms and narrowed down my choice between Panasonic DMC-FZ3 and Canon Powershot S1 IS. I went with the Canon because of its superior video mode (this camera will be for general use, as well as for my amateur photography :|, so video was benefitial). If I only cared about image (and didn't care about video), I would have gone with the FZ3.

Other ultra-zoom cameras to consider at this price range are Konica Minolta Z2 and Z3, Olympus UZ series (I forget the model names)...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:41 PM   #5

How will you use the camera? This was the deciding factor for me. I use my camera for sports photos of my kids so the Panasonic FZ3 was the better choice. The stabilized lens makes it easy to take 12x telephoto pictures with good results. The F2.8 fixed aperature should also make it easier to get good indoor zoom photos. Also the burst photo modes are great on the Panasonic. I've only owned my FZ3 for a week so I haven't fully explored what it can do. But it continues to impress me so far.

The Olympus from what I can tell (and I don't own one), has better white balance, which would be a requirement for portrait photos. Also the Olympus should have slightly sharper pictures, with less purple fringing. I have used an Olympus camera in the past (D-490) and was very impressed with it's low light capability.

You will probably find only small differences between these two fine cameras. The biggest difference, in my opinion, would be the Panasonic's stabilitzed lens.

Hope this helps.
dsuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 2:08 AM   #6

Thanks everybody. In www.quesabesde.com there are more opinions and reviews about these cameras.
I thinks that the results in photos 10x15 are very similar in this camera's range. I not have apreciated many differences in this size, only the color management.
Bye
Old Nov 4, 2004, 7:01 AM   #7

I've a Oly C770UZ, basically the C765UZ with a dual tube flash, hotshoe and MPEG4 video mode (640X480 30fps with no limit and smaller file size).

The main thing is what you use it for.

If you go for more action shots or long zoom handheld shots (especially in low light), you'll need the IS and not so much on the video, then the Panasonic FZ series is better.

However if you are like me, a more general photographer who wants a compact camera with excellent video and photos and doesn't worry about camera shake, go for the Oly C-765UZ or add a bit more ($70-100) and go for the C-770UZ with the MPEG4 video.
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote