Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 1, 2004, 3:54 PM   #1

Hello...First time Poster...I have a Dimage Z2 which I like a lot...Sometimes! It is terrible in low light! It either can't lock focus or it says it locked focus but the pics are blurry. We have missed many great picture taking opportunities due to this problem.

I have been reading a number of threads on here about some features that I want in a digicam but I can't find a camera that has all of them. Have I missed any? Here is what I want:

AF Assist Light-A must!!!

At least 4MP

A good size zoom, at least 5x

Movie mode with 640X480 at 30fps w/ sound and zoom during movies

Image stabiliztion would be nice

AA batteries would be better

The options that are still on the table are the Fuji S5100 (can't zoom during movies)andNikon 8800 (only 60 sec movies, proprietary battery, kinda expensive for me!). Any other suggestions I might have missed?

Cams that are close: Canon S1 IS (only 3.2 MP, no AF assist light), Olympus C770 (No AF Assist Light), Lumix FZ-20 (320X240 movie mode only). Thanks for your help.

2sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2004, 2:04 PM   #2

If you're looking at the Finepix 5100, then maybe look at the S7000. Go for the 6 megapixel camera. Check out digitalliquidators.com They have the S700 for 400 US dollars.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 2:20 PM   #3
Administrator

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
If you're looking at the Finepix 5100, then maybe look at the S7000. Go for the 6 megapixel camera. Check out digitalliquidators.com They have the S700 for 400 US dollars.
Digitalliquidators.com ?!?! :lol::lol:

Check out the customer ratings for them, startingat the bottom of this page (there are pages of similar customerreviews for them):

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2375.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 3:58 PM   #4

I think a lot of the ultra-zooms around the US$400 to $500 range have focusing issues in low-light (especially at the telephoto range). If you just want something that focuses well with a good movie mode, you shold probably just look for a normal (low-zoom) camera... If the Konica Minolta Z2 doesn't satisfy you, I don't think its competitors in the ultra-zoom category will...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 4:42 PM   #5
Administrator

2sides wrote:
Quote:
Hello...First time Poster...I have a Dimage Z2 which I like a lot...Sometimes! It is terrible in low light! It either can't lock focus or it says it locked focus but the pics are blurry. We have missed many great picture taking opportunities due to this problem.
I'd make sure that you aren't seeing motion blur in some of these conditions, too. Sometimes this is mistaken for shots being out of focus when users attempt to take photos without a flash in lower light (and most models will require a flash indoors if you are not using a tripod -- even it what appears to be a well lit interior -- unless you bump up ISO speeds to 400 and keep the lens set at full wide angle).

As a general rule of thumb, it's a good idea to have shutter speeds of 1/focal length or faster if you aren't using a tripod or flash to reduce the potential for motion blur.

In other words, at full wide angle (38mm equivalent focal length on your Z2), you'd want shutter speeds of 1/38 second or faster; or at full zoom (380 mm equivalent focal length on your Z2), you'd want shutter speeds of 1/380 second or faster.

With a flash, the rules are different (shutter speeds are not as critical using a flash, since the flash tends to freeze the action -- provided there isn't too much ambient light).

Quote:
AF Assist Light-A must!!!
Well... they can be helpful. But, even AF Assist Lamps have a limited range (some max out at around 6 feet, and most are only good for around 10 or 12 feet). So, keep this in mind, depending on the conditions you are trying to shoot in.

Also, the focus ability varies widely between models. Some models without focus assist lamps focus better than models with focus assist lamps in some lower light conditons. I'd make sure to read the review conclusion sections carefully, and also try out cameras in a store (using the same subjects for determining focus reliability).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote