Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:58 PM   #11

I have a Canon S400, but after a little over a year it has stopped working. Of course the warranty has expired. I'm not going to buy any more Canons! Also, the S400 did not perform well on indoor snapshots, and being a mom, that's what I most needed.
nlsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 12:48 AM   #12

Thanks all for all your wonderful suggestions...I really appreciate all the options that you have given me...Again thanks.....Also if anyone have personally used the Dimage X50 and the Casio. please let me know....Thanks.
aww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 6:22 AM   #13

I also have a Olympus mju-400 or Stylus 400 apart from my C770UZ, and I can definitely tell you that the indoor shots, especially in dim lighting, are grainy and noisy for the mju-400 and much much much better on the C770UZ. Normal outdoor shots are very good in both cameras.

After viewing photos from various friends' Sonys and Canons compacts and ultra compacts, we found that cameras with larger lens tend to do better in indoor/low light settings. Outdoor capabilities are good for most of the cameras.

it is probably that a smaller lens means less light going into the lens/sensor thus has poorer indoor/low light capabilities. Ultra compacts also have a weaker flash range as well.

But do bear in mind this is not scientifically/sytematically done and based on photos taken with various cameras on different occasions.

In your case, I wouldn't expect too much from the ultra compacts you listed for indoor shots. The outdoor shots wouldn't be any problems.
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 5:13 PM   #14

Thanks Thorn for your input. I will keep all of this in mind before I make my final decision on which camrera I will buy.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 4:29 PM   #15

I have just bought a Nikon 4200 which I took back because of the battery life compared to the Casio Exilim EX-Z40 which I am VERY dissapointed with.

I too take lots of indoor photos and the Exilim is not performing well at all! even when compared to my very old Sony DSC-P1 (amazing camera, shame about the battery life, start up time, lag and size!).

Has anyone any hints as to what camera would be good? The nikon was fantastic, just a little bulky for my liking, I shall be taking the Exilim back (it's a black one if anyone's interested).

I just get the feeling that I am looking for the same kind of camera that you are!

SD is the way forward!
rival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 7:37 PM   #16

Rival, thanks for your input. That gives me something to think about regarding the Casio. Now if only there was someone out there that has tried that new Minolta Dimage X50.