Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 1, 2004, 8:20 PM   #1

Hi Steve, I've read your reviews on compact digital camera, but I'm still confussed as to which one to buy. I've read the reviews for the new Minolta Dimage X50 and Casio EX-Z50 and EX-Z55. However, the reviews are pretty much the same. From the list of the three cameras and any other digital cameras that are compact, in your opinion which camera is a better buy. The best picture quality for both indoors and outdoors. Thank you in advance for your help.
aww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2004, 11:01 PM   #2

I would say the Canon S500 is a damn good camera for the size. As is the S410 and so on.
Snarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 12:48 AM   #3

Thanks, Snarge. I will look at the Canon. I have not even consider that model.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:55 AM   #4
Baz

Well AWW, I will not attempt to compare those cameras. The only one I have experienced is the Minolta Dimage X series. But I can compare it with others like Fuji 2800, A205, S602..

The Dimage X series are amazing. Such a compact camera with good optical zoom.

It is almost as good as the Fuji S602. The macro is great. Gives good 8 x 10" prints. Take a look on Steves review.

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:35 AM   #5

For its size, the Olympus C-770 is the smallest feature packed ultra zoom (10x optical zoom) on the market.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 12:24 PM   #6

Wow.....Mikefelln you stated that the Olympus C-770 is small and has 10x optical zoom that is great. I will also check that out. The only thing is most Olympus use that new xD card and I have several SD cards...so I'm trying to find a small camera with that use the SD cards...But I will look at the Olympus C-770. I'm also looking for a camera that takes great pictures indoors with low light....I will be going on vacation and I want to be able to take great pictures at dinner. Thanks for all your information.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 12:27 PM   #7

You all gave me alot of other options to look at. Fuji, etc. I will consider the look at the Fuji as well. But I definetly like the compact size of the Minolta and Casio, but not sure if they are worth my money....I will take my time and continue to look before I leaf....Thanks everyone....Also, I'm still open for more suggestions.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 2:52 PM   #8

You have 2 options more.

Panasonic FX7, Pentax Optio S5i.
ToniP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 8:31 PM   #9

aww914 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Steve, I've read your reviews on compact digital camera, but I'm still confussed as to which one to buy. I've read the reviews for the new Minolta Dimage X50 and Casio EX-Z50 and EX-Z55. However, the reviews are pretty much the same. From the list of the three cameras and any other digital cameras that are compact, in your opinion which camera is a better buy. The best picture quality for both indoors and outdoors. Thank you in advance for your help.
Steve lists which cameras are the best in a varity of categories here:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html
Old Nov 4, 2004, 7:50 AM   #10

aww914 wrote:
Quote:
Wow.....Mikefelln you stated that the Olympus C-770 is small and has 10x optical zoom that is great.* I will also check that out.* The only thing is most Olympus use that new xD card and I have several SD cards...so I'm trying to find a small camera with that use the SD cards...But I will look at the Olympus C-770.* I'm also looking for a camera that takes great pictures indoors with low light....I will be going on vacation and I want to be able to take great pictures at dinner.* Thanks for all your information.
I've a Oly C770UZ, love it. Very compact with good photo capabilities. You can put it in your jacket pocket without much problems, not jeans/pants though (big lens).

However since you already have SD cards, do have a look at Panasonic FZ20, FZ15 or FZ3. They have an excellent 12X Leica lens with F/2.8 available even at max telephoto. The FZ20 & FZ15 are rather big though, but the FZ3 is not too big.

Have a look at those too.
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote