Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 2, 2004, 1:01 PM   #1

Well, I am about dizzy trying to choose my next camera. I have 2 now, the Olympus 3030Z (which I've loved) and the wife's Olympus Stylus 400 (not so much). I'm not held to the Olympus brand, but in the past I've been happy with the battery life and image quality, particularly in natural light conditions (again, not so much with the Stylus).

So, I want an ultra zoom camera. 8X or greater. The problem is I keep finding deal-killer negative features that keep me from buying one.

The first one I really liked was the Canon PowerShot S1 IS. I love the image stabilizer feature. I keep hearing that you can't get a crisp picture, at full telephoto, without a tripod and this seems to solve the problem. Good reviews, but only 3MP. I'd like at least 4.

The Olympus UZ770 looks fantastic. The big killer for me here is the electronic viewfinder that blacks out when a picture is taken. I regularly use my 3030s optical viewfinder to continually track a moving object (bird, skier, kiteboarder, etc.) so specially with the long shutter lags, this is a must have feature (not blanking).

So, I'm begging for any suggestions on how to proceed. I want a big zoom but would also like either an optical viewfinder or a well behaved EVF.

I also wanting something about the same size of the 3030Z so I can easily throw this in a cargo pants pocket when hiking or skiing.

ANY tips appreciated. Thank you!

-todd
toddjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:05 PM   #2

Most prosumer ultra-zooms have EVF... you really don't have much choice...

If you just care about image quality, the best ultra-zooms IMO are the Panasonic DMC-FZ3,FZ15, and FZ20 ones...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 9:07 PM   #3

thanks. i have seen the panasonic and it is a nice camera. unfortunately for me it crosses the size threshold of "too big for a cargo pocket." If I went that route I'd seriously consider one of the SLRs instead.

its too bad...so many great features but not all on one camera. heck, i would love a focus-assist lamp that most canons have (not the s1) and the night vision modes in the new sony camera (but only a 4x zoom).

that canon s1 1s is so cheap now perhaps i should just get that. thing is, i'm waiting for the 4mp version of it with a few improvements that would surely come along with it.

oy. tough indeed.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 9:41 PM   #4

hmmmm, just looked at the FZ3 again. nice camera. real short lag. again, too bad it is only 3MP. would love one in this size with more pixels.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:13 PM   #5

If you want more mp with a long zoom and optical viewfinder, you have to move up to dSLR with a long zoom lens.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 8:15 AM   #6

I've a Oly C770UZ which I upgraded from a mju-400 (Stylus 400). Love the compact size of the 770, should fit your cargo pants pocket, anyway it fitted in my Dockers jacket pocket. Fantastic photos too. And the best thing is you can share the same battery/remote/xD of your wife, more sense money wise.

The EVF does have a black out problem but you tend get used to it. However, prefocusing does help to solve the shutter lag problem.

The only downside I can see probably would be the lack of IS and AF assist lamp.

Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:57 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I want an SLR, but want to keep the size down. It looks like the 770 or Canon will be my choices. Glad to hear people like both.

-todd
Old Nov 4, 2004, 2:59 PM   #8

I'll have to go back to the store. I thought the FZ3 was the same size as the Canon if you take the hood and adapter off. You might want to check out the www.dpreview.com review of the FZ-3 it directly compares the cannon and the Fz-3. There are trade offs (no manual focus, less capable movie mode) but I think the resolving power is better and it does a better job of focusing at low light.

But they are your pants that it has to fit in.
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 4:05 PM   #9

wmussatto wrote:
Quote:
I'll have to go back to the store. I thought the FZ3 was the same size as the Canon if you take the hood and adapter off. You might want to check out the www.dpreview.com review of the FZ-3 it directly compares the cannon and the Fz-3. There are trade offs (no manual focus, less capable movie mode) but I think the resolving power is better and it does a better job of focusing at low light.

But they are your pant that it has to fit in.
The Panasonic DMC-FZ3 is actually smaller than the Canon Powershot S1 IS. The FZ20 is the larger one...

However, all these are pretty much in the same size category (difference is not that much). I don't think you can really keep these in your pocket--unless you are talking about a jacket pocket or something :G
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 8:54 AM   #10

If you insist on being able to fit the camera into your cargo pants pocket, I believe the 770 is the only one available on your list.

The Pana FZ3 has a rather mini SLR-like shape with its long lens protruding which would not be comfortable at all.

The 770 lens also protrudes but much less than the FZ3.
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote