Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 7, 2004, 1:33 AM   #11

José A. wrote:
Quote:
berto wrote:
Quote:
a great deal also would be is the canon powershot series.
Just curious... how much optical zoom do they have?
The Power Shot S1 IS has the biggest zoom of the Canon's, and it's 10x w/IS.

It does not come close to the FZ's, and has focussing issues, because it has no AF Assist. The only thing that is better on it than the FZ's is the movie mode.

Personally, I get a digicam for pictures mainly. It's cool to mess around with the movie mode just for fun, so it does not have to be all that great.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 3:49 PM   #12

bobc wrote:
Quote:
The Power Shot S1 IS has the biggest zoom of the Canon's, and it's 10x w/IS.

It does not come close to the FZ's, and has focussing issues, because it has no AF Assist. The only thing that is better on it than the FZ's is the movie mode.
Just thinking... 10x is pretty close to 12x. And the AF assist does not work with long distances... or does it?

And porcelain, let us know how is you decission process going.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 4:07 PM   #13

porcelain82 wrote:
Quote:
Thank you all ...... it's been a great help! I will have a good look into it and thanks again for all your help.

Btw I'm not too worried about* size because I will be taking it out specifically to take pictures (not as a tag along).

Oh and did i mention?? THANKS!
If you don't mind a compact ultra zoom camera without IS, then have a look at the Olympus C770/765UZ. They are the most compact 10X zoom in the market right now. I own a C770UZ for the compact size (fits my jacket pocket) and good photos, didn't like the FZs coz of the big lens (not jacket-pocketable).

And the MPEG4 movie mode is great (9 mins on a 128MB card, try and beat that).

Thon
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 6:08 AM   #14
PvB

I would advise that yougo to several different sites and try the buyers guides. This site offers the option, and so do http://www.dcresource.comand http://www.dpreview.com.

My personal recommendation would be http://www.imaging-resource.com. There you can compare models, check prices, andnarrow your search. The main reason that I name this site, however, is Dave's Picks (best models). There you can see which cameras best fulfill different roles. I'll just name a few examples as there are quite a few links to choose from. All-Around use, Long Shot, Tight Budgets are just 3 of those links.

I hope I have been of help.
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 9:29 AM   #15

I'd go with the Canon S1 IS or A95.
bosamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 5:19 PM   #16

Well guys thanks very much for all the replies ..... I've been having a good read through them all .... researching the camera's mentioned and having a good look through the websites mentioned.

At the minute I seem to have fallen in love with the Panasonic Lumix FZ20 :idea:and if I can find it at the right price I think I'll go for it ..... hopefully it's the right choice for me!
porcelain82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 5:53 PM   #17

Having a quick look around UK sites best prices for the Panasonic Lumix FZ20 seem to be around £335.

Thon (above)mentioned Olympus C-765UZ or C-770UZ. I bought a C-765 three months ago (my first digital) and have been ever so pleased with it. Amazon.co.uk have this at £204-99, but you would soon be wanting to buy a bigger memory card.

Hope all this helps you to the right camera for you.

Regards, John

pjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 9:11 PM   #18

Hi,

John:
It's nice to know a fellow Olympus C-7xxUZ fan. Have you used any conversion lens on your 765 yet? I'm thinking of getting the wide angle convertor.

porcelain82:
Hope you'll get the FZ20 at a good price. Just remember, any digital camera, no matter how cheap or expensive, will be a waste if you do not use it often. The more you use it, the better you'll get.

And do find a vendor with a good return policy, just in case you decided the FZ20 is not for you. Do try out all the cameras in a B&M retailer before ordering, if you can.

Thon
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 5:20 AM   #19

Hi Thon,

No. Having bought the camera, lens adapter withUV filter, some extra memory, and a couple of backup batteries, I had exhausted my budget for the time being.

Never mind! There is so much that the camera can do "out of the box" that I am still exploring the possibilities

Regards, John
pjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 6:24 PM   #20

porcelain82 wrote:
Quote:
At the minute I seem to have fallen in love with the Panasonic Lumix FZ20 :idea: and if I can find it at the right price I think I'll go for it ..... hopefully it's the right choice for me!
Well, you said above that your budget was about $400... perhaps you could consider a different Lumix then? The most expensive one could have more than you actually need.

Just a suggestion.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote