Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 2, 2004, 6:05 PM   #1

OK so I'm new to the forum and I am also new to photography. I have a digital camera that I use for snaps (holidays etc) but I want to start making photography a reall hobby and so I'm looking to buy a new camera. I dont have a lot of money to spend so thats why I'm here looking for some help. I've asked a few friends and tried another forum, not to mention reading lots of posts here but I am getting very confused. HELP! :?

So basically I'm looking for a camera that is simple enough for me to use now but does have the ability for me to make better use of it when I learn more. However the big problem here is price. I want to spend about £200 (I'm from the UK) which I think translates to about $400 at the moment. I know this isn't a lot but it's all I can afford and I'm hoping there will be something out there for this money.

Other than that my only requirements are that it will be a good all round camera. I want to experiment with what I photograph but I know I will definitely be using it outdoors and for portraits.

I was interested in some kodak easyshare cameras but have been told that the software provided can produce some rather unwanted pc problems when installed. I'm not sure how accurate this is but it is very offputting if true.

I appreciate that you all get questions like this all the time but I would be really pleased if anyone had the time to comment with any suggestions.

Thanks for your time,

Nicky
porcelain82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:02 PM   #2

I'm no expert, but I think you could tell us what camera do you have and what do you like / don't like / would like to have improved / don't understand why it's there / etc., of it. That way people could make more accurate suggestions. Perhaps also try to define what you look for in a camera: how much OPTICAL zoom do you need, how many Mpixels do you ACTUALLY need, how much ISO, audio recording capability or not, hotshoe for external flash or not, etc.

I have a Lumix DMC-FZ10 (first digicam) and I like it a lot, it has full manual controls, great zoom, hotshoe... perhaps one of the FZ line could be a good choice.

Also, keep in mind that you're not going to buy only the camera: most of the models I've checked include a tiny memory card, so you would have to buy another one. And usually it is very wise to have a case for your camera. Also, depending on the model you choose, you might need an extra batery and / or a charger. And there are plenty of other accesories as well, like external flashes, filters, tripods... but I would think that you'll need a memory card and a case at the very least.

Good luck, make a good choice.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:13 PM   #3

OK so i obviously didn't explain myself well enough ..... will try again

I have a polaroid 2MP digital camera which as i said i just use for holiday snaps etc but is totally useless for inside pics and anything with flash in general.

As for most of what you asked for in the what i'm looking for category i don't know ...... i think 4/5 MP is more than ample for my use (and quite frankly i won't get any more than that for my money) .... apart from that i dont know

I want to be able to take good pictures of people, nature and some internal concert type pictures ...... but i don't know what i need to fulfil that ..... hence this post

i'm aware i'll have to buy other things but my price is just for the camera and then i will buy the others on top of that

is this enough?
Old Nov 3, 2004, 9:18 AM   #4

porcelain82 wrote:
Quote:
is this enough?
Almost...how big do you want the camera to be (pocket/purse size)? Internal concert type pictures sounds like you want longer than a 3x optical zoom (plus a bright, fast lens).
Old Nov 3, 2004, 11:08 AM   #5

Try one of the FZ Lumixes. The prices are something like this, after a brief search in www.pricegrabber.com:

FZ20 = $470
FZ15 = $400
FZ10 = $420
FZ3 = $330
FZ1 = $250

Check the Panasonic forum for comments on them, there are some posts by NickTrop which could convince you a 2Mp FZ1 is all that you need, so be warned.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 1:48 PM   #6

I agree that the Panasonic FZ series are probably worth a serious look at . They have big optical zoom and lots of manual and automatic controls so that you can easily use them now and also you have a camera that can grow along with you as you learn more about photography. I wanted the same thing in a camera. One that I could grow with but that was easy to use right out of the box. I bought the FZ20 and am very pleased with it so far. The other FZ models are also very good and there is not much difference in them except for the amount of Mpixels they offer and a few other bits and bobs. FZ20 and FZ10has a hotshoe for external flashes which can be quite handy. For your needs and your price range, I would take a look at the FZ10 which has plenty of Mpixels for you to play with.

Snaphappy1
snaphappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 3:27 PM   #7
kaw

fz1 about $180 at viking, includes free shipping and 30 day no hassle return policy
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 5:00 PM   #8

Thank you all ...... it's been a great help! I will have a good look into it and thanks again for all your help.

Btw I'm not too worried about size because I will be taking it out specifically to take pictures (not as a tag along).

Oh and did i mention?? THANKS!
Old Nov 3, 2004, 6:27 PM   #9

a great deal also would be is the canon powershot series.

A85 for about $280-$300 and its 4mp. takles great pictures!
fully automatic with manual overrides.

u have spare change for rechargeable double A batteries and extra compact flash memory and maybe a bag for it.

OR

the canon A95 for abut $349 + its 5mp camera. now how much more do u really need?

wow!

berto
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 5:12 PM   #10

berto wrote:
Quote:
a great deal also would be is the canon powershot series.
Just curious... how much optical zoom do they have?