Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 3, 2004, 2:30 AM   #1

I have a couple more days to return the camera I purchased for store credit. It is a canon S410. Origionaly I had purchased my 410 when my dad purchased an A95 (my suggestion)...I thgouht the S410 was defective after it lost my pics, with 2 different memory cards. one card was really old (Works in my Canon G1) so I purchased a SanDisk Ultra II 1 Gig card, and it gave memory card errors also so I returned it for another S410. Anyways I found out the SanDisk card was defective, something was ratteling around inside the card and it has trouble in my cf card reader also.

I have been playing with my dads A95 and I must say I like it, I took some cool night shots found here

http://desertrat.servepics.com/Glamis-Halloween-2004/

(these are compressed of course) the rest of the pics look great too.I took enough 30 second videos at 640x480 to put them together to make a cool Glamis ATV video. I know I'm going to miss this feature on my S410....I really wanted a small camera though so I'd rather go smaller if possible. However the A95 does fit in my pocket, it just does not have the solid feel of the elphs, and is a bit larger. I looked into getting the S500 but it sucks in the davebox test from imaging-resources so i'm skeptical on getting the 5mp version even though it does 640x480 like the A95 does. The $50 price difference makes no difference to me. I also liked how long the A95 lasted on 4 2400mah NIMH Batteries compared to my S410...

Now I'm looking at the Sony P100, sounds like it does great night shots and amazing video (can stream 640x480 untill the card is full no 30 second at a time BS and also has more FPS...But the color and sharpness at low ISO did not look as good as the Canon to me..

So what would be the best small camera for me? A95 (good all around solution) S410, great pics but bad video, S500 worse pics than the 410 but better video and small size compared to A95.

or do I go with the sony for it's streaming video, low noise and long battery life? How can I possibly decide when i want ALL these features and can't have it...

My Head hurts and I'm running out of time. Are the S500's pictures really that much worse than the S410's? Where does the P100 fit in here? The sony's and A95's extended battery life would be awesome on camping trips... Someone please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:?

I'm definately a canon fan, but are all the features on teh P100 too good to be true?

Desertrat1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2004, 3:21 PM   #2

I was really hoping someone could help cause i only have another day or so before I'm stuck with the S410...I can't open the box or it's mine.

What do you guys think of the S410 Vs the S500? From the reviews it appears the 410 takes better pictures, is this really true? The extra $50 to me is worth having the video, but if the image quality sucks then I can't use it...It appears teh A95 is the only cam that really does the best of both worlds? but it's not exactly pocket sized...

Anyone now how the night shots on the A95 would compare to the S410/500's? The lense on the A95 is a bit larger, but how much better quality will the pictures and night shots really come out?

Sorry I'm new here, But I have been researching for a long time and it has done nothing but lead me to indecisiveness.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 4:13 PM   #3

I brought home a a95, p150, and s70. I am keeping the a95. The p150 was crap...I couldn't get a decent indoor shot that was sharp and clear and without redeye. The redeye sucked too because it was a greenish tone that software had a hard time removing.

The s70 was really nice but I did notice the distortion of the wide angle lense. Although it was nice to capture more of a scene, I did not want to lose picture quality. Compared with the a95 in identical shooting locations, the s70 produced softer and darker images. The a95's seemed to "pop" more and that decided it for me.
sperk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 4:53 PM   #4

ok then the P100 is out, I guess... If I could find out the difference on image quality on the S410 vs S500 that woudl greatly help, since the S500 and A95 have the same video recording. Supposedly the S410 has better image quality due to larger pixels, but is that enough to get the 410 over the 500? I don't really need 5mp, but it would be nice so long as it is not at the cost of reduced image quality.

Origionaly I wanted an ultra compact like the 410, but after using the A95 I'm really impressed. I was also however very suprised at the images I took from the 410, I can't see much differenc ein image quality between the 410 and 95, jsut that the A95 takes larger pictures. A bit large to carry to parties, and keep on me when going out though. Although I might be able to deal with it. My G1 is just too big, I find myself leaving it at home.

One thing I'm really considering is the ability for the S410 to take night shots as compared to the A95? Will they be similar using the night shot setting?

Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:54 AM   #5
rp3

If you like canons, there's also the SD200/300 which have 640x480/30 unlimited.It's smaller and more expensive/megapixel than the s410/s500 but it's canon's newest. I took a night shot with it.

The SD300 was on IR with it's test. I never paid attention to the result though.
rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 1:49 PM   #6

I just looked into them and the video is quite impressive, although they pictures have problems with noise and fringing.. now if they could have just left the camera the size of the S410 and added decent video they would have a real winner! I guess that model won't come out until after I have purchased whatever it is I decide on! The size difference is not that important to me the S410 is already small enough! It seems they do not have a 5mp version because they are Not increasing megepixels to preserve image quality. The lense is just too small and they are craming too many even finer pixels inside it.

It's interesting that Steve picked the S500 over the S410 for his "best cams list" Every review I have read says the 410 takes sharper more clear picture with better color, making the only advantages to the S500 being, more shots in burst mode, and extra video and higher resolution, but at the expense of more noise, less sharpenss, slower times, and worse white balance under incandesant lighting.

I'm really leaning towards the S410 after I found some night shots. I even looked at other brand ultra compatcs the the only one that even comes close seemed to the the Nikon, but it is only 3.x MP, other than that it looked pretty decent.

Seems the A95 is alot better in many aspects but I think the picture quality should be close to the S410. I have manual controls on my G1 however so I wont be with a cam without them. Although my G1 does nto work properly when taking night shots, there appears to be green and purple stuck pixels , although the pixels are only stuck when using the night settings, manual works fine!

Sounds like Canon is going to make an S410/500 sized cam with the new Digic II chip that takes SD memory and can maintain the image quality of the 410 and have the features of the SD300/200 line. While I like the featuers the of 300/200 I do not like the reduced image quality. Looks Like I got into the market jsut a little too early and now I will have to suffer for the next year, not to mention that the store I got mine from "Best Buy" is already way over priced!
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:45 PM   #7

So what did you decide?
did you check out the sony w1?

Glamis was awesome this year.
I live in Brawley so it's just down the road.

good luck
SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 9:40 AM   #8

I love my S400 ! ......If that helps.

'Have taken in access of 1000 pictures with it in all different conditions and except for the odd camera shake (it's tough to hold a camera this small steady while pressing the button) all my pictures are of exceptional quality.

If I was you, I'd keep the S410.

I looked at the SD300 but until I can do side by side comparison shots with my S400, I'll stay away from it. The lesser picture quality mentioned in reviews elsewhere are a little worrisome.

The S410 (almost identical to my S400) or S500 don't give me anything extra that would be of value to me.

Too bad that Steve's is not up to date anymore (are you reading this Steve?) but with the onslaught of new cameras coming out almost monthly now, it's not a big surprise.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml

TheSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote