Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 4, 2004, 5:40 PM   #1

Looking at 3-4 digital cameras to purchase in the next 2-3 weeks here are my choices: HP PS945 5.1 megapixel 8x opt zoom w/dock for $350.00
Dimage Z2 4 megapixel 10x opt zoom for $365.00
Kodak 7590 or 6490-only real difference is 7590=5 megapix 6490=4megapix
I like the Kodaks both with 10x opt zoom, but a little more expensive if I get the camera dock: $100 more than hp or dimage. HP and Dimage use AA batteries, which I have plenty of Nimh batteries and the HP comes with docking station for $350. Not a big HP fan though-but if the camera is a good one I'll get it..Read reviews on each andall are pretty good. The Dimage has a better recording function, but I'm not sure how often I'd use it. Any help or opinions would be helpful or if anyone has used any of the cameras...
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2004, 8:05 PM   #2

If you can afford to spend another $100, and primarily care about image quality (not video) then consider the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 (what I consider to be the best camera at the mid-end prosumer price range). Here are some reviews of it:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fz20.html
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz20/
----

Of the three you listed, I like the Dimage (simply because it is aruably a better ultra-zoom with good video capabilities; you should also consider the Dimage Z3, which is newer). Having said that, each have their differences. If you haven't done already, do a side-by-side comparison at dpreview.com (select buying guide on the left menu, then side-by-side).

Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 8:32 PM   #3

Don't want to spend over $400 that's why I'm looking at the3 above..
Old Nov 5, 2004, 8:37 AM   #4

Have a look at the Olympus C-750UZ as well, if it is still available. It should be within your budget and a very compact ultra zoom.
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 8:46 AM   #5

I just received the Panasonic FZ3. Ordered it from buydig.com for $337. It has a 12x zoom with stabilization.... incredible.
Treasuredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 3:08 PM   #6

I have used the HP 945, the Kodak 6490 and the Kodak 7590. Kodak fixed a few problems with the 7590.

I seriously disliked the HP 945--the colour was off most of the time.

I purchased the 7590 and am very happy with it. You do not need a camera dock. It comes with a charger and you can connect directly to your PC with a USB cable. The battery life is awesome and recharges quickly. It can be recharged any time so you don't have to discharge it before you charge it again.

I also purchased an adapter and the wide-angle lens which does a great job. There is no noticable barrel distortion and I can zoom in to my subject which is a big help.

I say go for the DX 7590.
coyotegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 8:00 PM   #7

Leaning towards the Z2. The HP 945 is the cheapest and comes with a docking station, but it seems like from other forums the colors aren't right. Don't know how true that is, but the Z2 is only $15 dollars more w/movie mode...the 7590 is just out of my price range and I want to have the camera by the end of the month..
Old Nov 5, 2004, 9:43 PM   #8

I don't know about the HP 945 but I have had an HP 850 for almost 2 years and for still photography it is great! It has a long lag time, but as long as you don't need it for action photos I have been very happy with my HP.

I have taken many macro shots of toy models for my son and the color and detail are excellent. It also works well as a general camera on trips. One set of 1800 ma batteries usually lasts all day taking up to 200 pics, although I always carry a spare set.

The fully auto mode works well although I like to use the AP feature to control my depth of field and that has worked nicely also.
Davyzpics is offline   Reply With Quote