Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 6, 2004, 7:06 AM   #1

i'm gonna switch from P&S to DSLR.i'm into macro(aquatic not underwater), scenic and sometimes candid shots. for me, image quality is top priority and base on shots comparisonbetween the 2 cameras(from some sites:G), canon's photos seem more pleasing to me. however, given the recent price drop from nikon'sD70(here in Singapore), it makes the D70 a very attractive buy.so....which DSLR should i go for? :?both are within my budget.:-)the real question now, i think, is which systemshould i go into? nikon or canon system?:?

any advise would be most appreciated.:-)
kross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2004, 6:47 PM   #2

I think you're asking about the 300D vs. the D70. I'm pretty sure that the D70 is a superior camera, in speed, flash performance, and perhaps focus performance and handling. However, I've never used a D70 myself -- only a 300D and a 20D.

I also like the idea of compatibility with older lenses on the Nikon.

The 20D is a good choice, and corrects many of the 300D's flaws, but is more expensive than the D70.

The 300D, which I bought for my wife in the early days, is a good choice if you want to save more money or wish to get into the Canon system, but is slated for short-term replacement. (Current guess is announcement/release around Feb 2005).

If Canon's done their job, then the pendulum should swing to the 300D replacement over the D70, but that's then, not now IMO.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 12:58 AM   #3

Ditto.

I went with the D70. Though I'm not recommending it over the 300D, this really depends on what you are expecting from it- I've never even held the 300D in my hands but have used the D30, D60, and the 10D... all excellent cameras. It came time for me to buya dslr,the 20Dcost too much for me, and I had resevations concerningpossible QA issues. The 20D is more camera than I need currently.

The D70 does not have mirror lock-up (less some magic firmware update) which for me was why I almost went to Canon. Apart from that the D70 has almost everything I need andmuch more (yes, I know what I just said). I went with Nikon.

If/when I need more resolution, I will havenoreal issueswith goingto Canon... if they've got the right one @ the right price as I am not invested in any lenses currently except the nikon kit lens (18-70mm). I am truely happy with my D70 and feel it is a good deal- would also buy from Nikon again.

That said, the 300D is a good deal right now but it is less camera (in the way of user funtions)than the D70- not right for me but maybe just right for you... resolution equals or surpasses the D70 in Jpeg mode (debatable, yes).

~Bjane

(absolutely no help at all)
Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 3:54 AM   #4

kross wrote:
Quote:
i'm gonna switch from P&S to DSLR.¬*i'm into macro(aquatic not underwater), scenic and sometimes candid shots. for me, image quality is top priority and base on shots comparison¬*between the 2 cameras(from some sites:G), canon's photos seem more pleasing to me. however, given the recent price drop from nikon's¬*D70(here in Singapore), it makes the D70 a very attractive buy.¬*so....which DSLR should i go for? :?¬*both are within my budget.:-)¬*the real question now, i think, is which system¬*should i go into? nikon or canon system?:?

any advise would be most appreciated.:-)
Tell you what, if you do not already have any Canon or Nikon lenses previously, then look at the brand new Olympus EVOLT E-300. It has the new four thirds sensors and a whole range of lenses (Olympus Zuiko) specifically designed for the four thirds system. And the price should be very competitive when compared to the Canon 300D or Nikon D70.

Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 7:36 AM   #5
NHL

kross wrote:
Quote:
so....which DSLR should i go for? :? both are within my budget.:-) the real question now, i think, is which system should i go into? nikon or canon system?:?
The key word here is which "system"... Cameras come and go every few months, but your lenses are likely to stay with dSLRs and you'll have to live with them!

Digital cameras are now like film "emulsion", each new generation will have better resolution as well as better noise control than the previous. Just check the two latest entry from Canon and Minolta (yes Minolta) with noise free pictures (isn't that the whole point behind owning a dSLR?) all the way to ISO-3200. You don't want to be "stuck" with a "system" while there are better films on the other "system" :?

Now onto the lenses... One also want to look into a "system" which have the largest choice even from 3rd party because there's a significant saving here as well, especially on fast f/2.8 lenses or faster, which are usually priced out of reach of most consumers with the OEMs. Some manufacturers also carry more ultrasonic and image stabilized lenses than others while some have none. The Minolta (as Olympus) for example have no IS/VR lenses, but all one needs to do is buy one of theses image stabilized / vibration reduction lens from Canon/Nikon and it would have paid for the camera which has the "anti-shake" built-in and would work on all lenses, even the wide angle and standard lenses! :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 1:14 PM   #6

I was debating the same issue until yesterday.

I grew up shooting my dad's Nikon, and he recently got a D70 so I was leaning that way.

When I compared lens systems though, almost everyone I talked to said Canon. Sigma makes a GREAT range of lenses for canon, and the high-end canon glass (L series) is second to none.

I bought a D300 (rebel) yesterday, and with the money I saved by getting the 300D instead of the D70 I'm picking up the Canon 28-135 with image stabilization.

D300 with sweet lens for the same price as a D70 body.
Can't beat that.

as you said, bodies will need to be upgraded every couple years, and I have full confidence that canon and nikon will continue to be neck and neck. Lenses though, my money's on canon.
klocwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 9:20 PM   #7

Here is a good review of the Nikon D70. In the second paragraph, is a link to a review of the Canon Rebel by the same author. Lots of good info on both of these cameras.

http://www.bythom.com/D70REVIEW.HTM
BillD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 5:41 AM   #8

every review i have read states that d70 kills 300d in almost every area, you should remember " you get what you pay for":-)
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 7:00 AM   #9

The article above says that the body prices were comparable (at the time of writing), but that the kit lenses were of different price and quality (i.e. the Nikon's was better &more expensive).
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:04 AM   #10

thx guys. bought the 300D Black.:-)
kross is offline   Reply With Quote