Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 6, 2004, 4:22 PM   #1

So my Canon S40 broke about a half year ago. I've been looking for something smaller since before this accident though. I frequent DPReview and DCResource and am yet to decide on which camera has the best image of is the ultra-small cameras. I figure it might be impossible to go so small and still retain "acceptable" quality, however a guy at Circuit City said that new technology is coming out that involves "vertical lenses" that are helping the super-slim cameras take good pictures...

So do I need to wait longer for a camera to come out or is there a decent camera out there that I'm missing? I really like the size of the Canon SD20 but am afraid it might be a little too un-performance driven.. I like the quality of the Canon S400 and S500 but they're both a little too big for what I want.

I'm getting antsy here but don't want to wind up with a slim POS if possible. I'm obviously looking for a "party camera" that can go anywhere with me, however I'd love for it to snap the occasional beautiful scenery or flower macro with more than decent quality. I don't need anything super professional, but I'm coming from an S40 that I liked so I'm worried that I'll be unhappy with the picture quality.

Edit: I'm not trying to find the smallest camera for the cheapest price. If anything I plan to spend a lot. I'm trying to find out if there's an ultra-small camera (Smaller than the Canon S500's) that can put out some decent competition that sets it apart from the rest of the not-so-decent ultra-small cams. I'm getting used to seeing similar reviews and they all seem to have the same conclusions: "Well this shouldn't be used for your main camera but it'l get you through the day with some decent pics..." Well, I understand that they're going to be inferior to other cameras, but is there a superior one in this specific group?

Thanks for any info guys, I appreciate the help

-T
-Ever- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2004, 6:24 PM   #2
sdf

Hi,

I don't have information for your question, but I recall a page reviewingBest Ultracompacts that also included the Zippo camera and keychain size ultracompacts.

Can't seem to find it...anyone haveideas where the link is?

As for your question, I'm probably in the other group of wanting to find something ultracompact but merely half decent and at a reasonable price. It seems to me there are many ways of defining ultracompact. :?

Did you see the new digital version of the Minox? I believe it's got a decent lens, etc., but didn't look closely yet. Of course you looked at the Pentax Optio, Minolta Dimage X, etc..

Best of luck,

-S
sdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 7:00 PM   #3

sdf wrote:
Quote:
Did you see the new digital version of the Minox? I believe it's got a decent lens, etc., but didn't look closely yet. Of course you looked at the Pentax Optio, Minolta Dimage X, etc..
Thanks for the reply bud. And yeah I've browsed basically all of the compact camera's reviews, but that's not the point. Like I said in my post, they all seem to have the same conclusion. What I'd love to see is an overall comparison of all the current compact cameras (anything smaller than say a Canon S500) instead of just reading one review after another. I figure I won't come by that review anytime soon though so it'd be nice to hear if theres maybe a camera or two that are considered the 'best' of the ultra-compacts (thus the title of the thread! )

Thanks for any info guys.

-T
Old Nov 6, 2004, 8:11 PM   #4
smc

My friend has the sd10 and it takes great pictures. The size is adefinite plus. He even took pics and videos while we were running a 10K. He does lament not having an optical zoom, sometimes.

I'm looking at the sd200 but if I had the money I wouldlook at the Sony T1 or L1 or the Panasonic FX7. I love the colors on the L1. I'm sure it would be the topic of many conversations.

Steve

smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 8:51 PM   #5

Yeah someone else mentioned the L1 as well. Is it possible that a camera that has less MP and is cheaper could be better? (sarcasm )

Seriously though, I'm not looking for best bang for my buck or anything. Simply trying to find out if there's a small camera that's superior to the rest of the little guys out there. Is that why the L1 is talked about? I guess some of the main things I'm looking for is color vibrancy (natural) and such.
Thx again

-Tim
Old Nov 7, 2004, 3:59 AM   #6

Hi, I have the same problem. I'm looking for the best ultra-compact camera to buy. The S430 and S500 are a bit too thick to fit in my pocket. Does someone Know what ultra-compact camera as the best picture quality? SD300 (Ixus 40), Optio s5i, Casio ex Z50/55 ore someelse? I'm not interested in the price, video or speed but only in the best picture quality. Thankyou
francesco_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 7:13 AM   #7

Or Panasonic Fx7?
francesco_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 9:03 AM   #8
rp3

I own a SD200 that I bought with the same thoughts. I had a credit at a retail store so the Sony L1 wasn't an option. The L1 is great because they made it really small and sony electronics tend to be more flashy.

I saw you mention looking at multiple canon's in your first post so I have to speak of the SD200. To compare images, look at the links below.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca.../gallery.shtml

On that site, in the SD20 review, it says the following "The dimensions of the SD20 are 90.3 x 47.0 x 18.5 mm / 3.6 x 1.9 x 0.7 inches (W x H x D), and it weighs just 100 grams / 3.5 ounces empty. I have the PowerShot SD300 here as well and it's not that much bigger, with dimensions of 3.4 x 2.1 x 0.8 inches and a weight of 130 grams. What I'm implying here is that for one less Megapixel of resolution and a slightly larger body you get a much more capable camera in the SD300."

Steve has a review of the Casio, Panasonicand Pentax with sample pictures. I linked to the SD20's sample gallery as a baseline to comparesteve's and DCRP's photos.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...i_samples.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...5_samples.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...7_samples.html

You are not about to get a POS with any of the camera's mentioned.

I don't know about about the Sony T1, I would get the P100 long before the T1 and it's a camera very suited to your needs also. I love my SD200, more than the SD300 if it were even dollar. I only view pictures on my computer and post them on the web so my needs may be different than your. What I can say is that the SD200 is in my pocket or laptop case every day so it would fit your party needs.
rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 2:26 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah so I'm currently torn between a few cameras still. The SD20 and it's small size is amazing, but having no zoom might be a little problem? The SD300 and it's picture quality seem great but it's just a tad larger than the SD20. I'm yet to really look into the L1 yet.

Can anyone give me a solid answer on this? Will the SD300 image always be better than the SD20 image? It's just odd cause the SD20 has one megapixel on the SD300 but the SD300 is bigger and I think has more potential for a better pic even though it's one less MP.

Thanks for any more info.

-T
Old Nov 7, 2004, 3:59 PM   #10
smc

I read this at DCRP. You can't tell the difference at 4x6 only if you blow up to 8 x 10.

http://www.dcresource.com/faq/faq.html

Steve
smc is offline   Reply With Quote