Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 6, 2004, 6:12 PM   #1

Hi.
Although I have been meaning to buy a camera since the Sony 640x480 big chunky camera came out, i have never got around to doing it.

I finally should be getting a good job, getting good money, and I decided that I really do need a camera. I spotted the FinePix S7000 and S20 on my favourite PC store website and although they were both the same price, they were dirt cheap (£300). After reading the review for the S20 here at Steve's, i figured out that the S20 was better.

Do you think I should get this camera, or should i get a different one? I am a mountain boarder, and would like to capture fast moving people on boards on pics and occasionaly short video clips. I dont want the cheesy compact cuboid cameras boasting "5.0 megapixels!" and I may in the future want to invest in some extra lenses (such as fish eye). I want the camera to last for a good long time, and to have a good resolution, thats why im looking at the S20.

Does this sound like the right camera for me? If not, why not? and which camera(s) would you suggest instead?

Thanks lots

Ben
BenKenTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2004, 3:45 AM   #2

"The bottom line for most digital camera buyers today is image quality and price. The FinePix S20 Pro in my opinion does not deliver the level of image quality that we expect from a "top of the line" digicam. Other than its 6M mode it does not offer any choices in image quality other than basic, this is a standard feature on every other manufacturer's cameras." - from Steve's Review (conclusion) of the S-20.

Interesting that that's the opinion that helped you decide to go for the S-20.

You say you want to hold on to whatever camera you buy for a long time. Makes perfect sense.It also makes perfect sense, then, to invest the time to do a proper comparative research. Bythe criteria you list, it seems that several cameras fall within it: Olympus C-750, C-765, C-770; Minolta Z2, Z3; Panasonic FZ-10, FZ-15, FZ-20; Fuji S-5100; Canon S1; perhaps even the Nikon 5700...

Take the time to do the research. Download sample photos from different cameras. It'll save you time and trouble in the long run.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 6:21 AM   #3

Quote:
"The FinePix S20 Pro in my opinion does not deliver the level of image quality that we expect from a "top of the line digicam."- from Steve's Review (conclusion) of the S-20.

But the S20 is hardly a top of the line camera!, 6Mpixels and £300 is easily a middle of the range.

The cameras that i could find of those that you suggested were alright and were cheaper with the average around the £270 mark, but most of them were just 4MP and had no lens changing capability and look very touristy. Around half were more expensive (the Nikon especially more so) and none could match or exceed the S20s 6MPixels. If I were looking for a cheapy looking 4MP camera, the store itself manufactures a reliable 5MP camera for £70!

But from what you said and seem to think about the S20, I will look further, but there isnt really any other 6MP semi-professional looking cameras around that price. Unless I wait another half a year or so to let the Fuji S2 Pro fall to about the £400 mark (or something similar), or go up an extra £50 to the price range of the 8MP's.

Thanks.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 6:59 AM   #4

EOS RT wrote:
Quote:
"The bottom line for most digital camera buyers today is image quality and price. The FinePix S20 Pro in my opinion does not deliver the level of image quality that we expect from a "top of the line" digicam. Other than its 6M mode it does not offer any choices in image quality other than basic, this is a standard feature on every other manufacturer's cameras."* - from Steve's Review (conclusion) of the S-20.

You say you want to hold on to whatever camera you buy for a long time. Makes perfect sense.*It also makes perfect sense, then, to invest the time to do a proper comparative research. By*the criteria you list, it seems that several cameras fall within it: Olympus C-750, C-765, C-770; Minolta Z2, Z3; Panasonic FZ-10, FZ-15, FZ-20; Fuji S-5100; Canon S1; perhaps even the Nikon 5700...

Take the time to do the research. Download sample photos from different cameras. It'll save you time and trouble in the long run.
You've got the money to burn, so go for the best you can get.

EOS RT made a good list for you here. Have a shortlist of the features you like in all the cameras and you should be on your way.

Just remember 1 important point, there is no perfect camera out there yet. Just make sure you can live with any shortcomings your camera might have.

I've an Oly C770UZ, fantastic photos, 10X zoom and very compact size. But it only has 4MP (which is more than what I actually require) and no IS lens (makes photography more back to the basics actually). I'm happy with it and would recommend it.
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 1:44 AM   #5

Don't know what you're referring to when you say you'd like to add lenses to the S-20... you can add conversion lenses (telephoto and wide-angle) - but you can do that with just about all of the other cameras I listed, as well. The S-20 does not have an interchangeable lens.

Also - from what I've seen - and read - the S-20's 6 Megapixels does not result in better image quality than the 4 MP cameras I listed. In fact, the 4Mp cameras, in my opinion, yield the better quality images. Don't get 'sucked in' by numbers. Yes, 6 is a larger number than 4 - but there are many other factors to consider...

Such as...

The 6 Megapixels in the S-20 is not really 6 MP. In other words, it is not a TRUE 6 MP camera. Its native resolution is 3.1 MP - and Steve (and others) say the image quality is better at its native 3.1 resolution than at the 6 MP resolution. So, it is essentiallya 3.1 MP camera with Fuji's 'Super CCD' converting it to 6 MP.

In digicams, more megapixels often means more noise, as the CCD size often remains the same. As I understand it, the more MP you put on a given sizedCCD, the more noise you'll see.

As well, what are your printing plans for your photos? If you're not planning to print at greater than 8x12 or 11x14 size, you'll be fine with 4 MP.

The number of MP is just the beginning. There is far more to the equasion than just the number of MP. This is where the research comes in. I've been 'studying' digital cameras for a few months, and I'm still learning a bunch of new things every day. It may be time consuming now, but it'll pay off in the end.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 3:07 PM   #6

Ok thanks for your input, Ill leave it for another 6 months, see what's what then.

Nothing really strikes my fancy at the moment, I thought the S20 was too good to be true, does that mean that the S7000 also has a 3.2MP CCD, the 12MP images must be pretty poor!

I thought that it meant the lenses were interchangeable, the site I would have been buying it off didnt describe the lens system simply enough for my knowledge!

I wouldnt be needing to print them out, but will be publishing them on the net, and manipulating them, and maybe possibly in some magazines.

You never know, maybe by then the Kodak DCS Pro would be under £100!!! :lol:

Thanks for your help,

Ben
Old Nov 10, 2004, 4:54 PM   #7

The S7000 has a native resolution of about 6 megapixels. The camera you were interested in had a greater dynamic range. In other words, it would show a greater range of dark and light shades, not rendering them as simply white or black.

I have the S7000 and think it is a good deal for the current prices (mid 400's). However, others think that there's too much noise.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 6:09 AM   #8

I love my s20 pro too , i have noticed in these forums a strong anti fuji superccd bias:shock:the bottom line is the s7000/s20 pro can produce excellent images at A4, and in terms of features and spec are unbeatable at any price!!
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 9:34 AM   #9

If you want to capture fast action like snowboarding, then I think you'll find anything less than a D-SLR will not be fast enough.
Allan Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:15 PM   #10

shutter speed 1/10000 not fast enough? 4.5 frames per second not fast enough? how many DSLRs can manage that? Also fuji super ccds are NOT to be compared with anything else. anyone who has studied the technology behind them knows that!! S20 has 3MR pixels AND 3MS pixels put the two together you get 6MP!! hardly rocket science!! they are NOT interpolated!!
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote