Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 7, 2004, 1:21 AM   #1

How's it goin everyone. I have a decision to make on my next digicam and I need some advice. I'll try and keep this concise.

I'm no computer or imaging newbie, and I've owned a few digicams, all canon. Presently I have a powershot S45, but I'm open to other brands. I'm a design student in Denver, CO and I'm looking for a new camera with a much higher res and great capture quality for graphic design work. I'm looking in the powershot S70 price range, possibly a G6. My issue is: I'm never without my backpack and powerbook, so I'm already carrying around enough. That's part of the reason I've got my eye on the slim yet somewhat powerful powershot line.

So: I'm interested in a fully manual camera that's compact, but image quality and resolution, in the end, reign supreme. I'd like to keep its form factor at least within the G6's, and again I'm open to other brands if they're a real winner.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help!
dcharti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2004, 4:05 AM   #2

dcharti wrote:
Quote:
How's it goin everyone. I have a decision to make on my next digicam and I need some advice. I'll try and keep this concise.

I'm no computer or imaging newbie, and I've owned a few digicams, all canon. Presently I have a powershot S45, but I'm open to other brands. I'm a design student in Denver, CO and I'm looking for a new camera with a much higher res and great capture quality for graphic design work. I'm looking in the powershot S70 price range, possibly a G6. My issue is: I'm never without my backpack and powerbook, so I'm already carrying around enough. That's part of the reason I've got my eye on the slim yet somewhat powerful powershot line.

So: I'm interested in a fully manual camera that's compact, but image quality and resolution, in the end, reign supreme. I'd like to keep its form factor at least within the G6's, and again I'm open to other brands if they're a real winner.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help!
Hi,

There are a few questions to ask yourself before you decide.

Are you happy with the photos from the S45 in general?

Do you need a ultra zoom or a 3x/4x zoom is enough for you?

Do you want to be able to reuse the current CFs you have for your S45, or to build up another stockpile of new memory format (SD, xD, MS) is not a problem for you?

Based on these points, you should be able to narrow down your choices.

In your case, I'd recommend you to try out the G6 first before trying any other cameras.

If you'd like an ultra zoom and don't mind other memory formats, then have a look at the Panasonic FZ20 (5MP, a excellent Leica lens, using SDs). However, noise is a problem in this camera, according to many users.

Have a look also at the current bunch of 8MP cameras and see if they fit your requirements.
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:49 AM   #3

Quote:
There are a few questions to ask yourself before you decide.

Are you happy with the photos from the S45 in general?

Do you need a ultra zoom or a 3x/4x zoom is enough for you?

Do you want to be able to reuse the current CFs you have for your S45, or to build up another stockpile of new memory format (SD, xD, MS) is not a problem for you?

Based on these points, you should be able to narrow down your choices.

In your case, I'd recommend you to try out the G6 first before trying any other cameras.

If you'd like an ultra zoom and don't mind other memory formats, then have a look at the Panasonic FZ20 (5MP, a excellent Leica lens, using SDs). However, noise is a problem in this camera, according to many users.

Have a look also at the current bunch of 8MP cameras and see if they fit your requirements.
Thanks for the reply, you've got some good points. I'll try and keep my answers short:

1) For the most part I'm happy with the powershot's photos. I know it suffers from some of that hazing around edges that a lot of cameras that small have. In the past I could usually still use the image, but for an increasing amount of work I'm doing for school and eventually (hopefully) as a professional 4 mp just isn't going to cut it.

2) I'm not worried about ultra zoom. 95% of the shots I'm taking are controlled, so the standard 3/4x is just fine. A higher resolution, proper image capture and color are still at the top of my list.

3) I'm not worried about switching memory formats. Flash memory has gotten unbelievably cheap if you shop the right sites.

Thanks.
dcharti is offline   Reply With Quote