Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 7, 2004, 7:13 PM   #1

Hey guys,

I finally decided on a camera. I'm gonna go with the canon sd300. When I went to check prices the best price I found was $399. Now my problem is that I was originally looking at the s70 which can be bought for only $27 more.

For such a small difference in price should I reconsider and go witht he s70?

I am really only interested in a simple small point and shoot (automatic settings) camera. I do not shoot movies (have camcorder for that).

From what I read, the s70 has a much better picture quality and it is 7mp vs 4 for the sd300.

I like the smaller size of the sd300 but it seems like I would be getting much more camera for less than $30 bucks more.

What do you guys think?
argoldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2004, 9:37 PM   #2

Are you sure you are looking at S70 and not something else like SD10 or something? I'm looking at a Canon brochure and the S70 has an MSRP of CAN$800 (799.99 actually) and the SD300 is $500 (499.99) (the prices are in Canadian dollars but the point is the same)...

The S70 should cost way more than the SD300...at least US$100... but it IS possible that you found a really low-cost retailer or something...

IN MY OPINION, which is not based on having any of these cameras, the S70 is FAR better than the SD300 based on the specs! S70 pretty much has everything SD300 has, and more (higher megapixels, bigger sensor, slightly higher zoom, lower wide-angle, RAW image output, more controls, slightly stronger flash, etc). However, there are some key differences. The SD300 has a larger LCD screen and better video ([email protected]).

But you should keep in mind that the SD300 is ULTRA-compact while the S70 is just a compact. In other words, the SD300 is designed to be carried in a pocket/purse/etc. It is almost half the weight of the S70 and has a sleek design

If you are into photography, I would go with the S70; but if you just want a camera that you can carry everywhere for candid shots or something, I think the SD300 is arguably better for that.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 9:44 PM   #3

You've made a very good point here, price vs size & features.

I can't tell you what you should buy, but do have a few things in mind when you purchase a camera.

Normally a smaller camera means that it is more technologically difficult to cram all the parts into a smaller body, and at the same time make it usable. So you have to pay a premium for that, more $$$ for less camera so to say.

Another point is from the style point of view. A smaller camera seems to have more "wow" factor as well. We'd normally see a very small ultra compact and go wow...very high tech. This means more $$$ as well, look at mobile phones for instance...

The main point for you would be what is most important for you. Do you value size more than features or otherwise. If you'd like portability (pocketsize) then go for the ultra compacts. If features/controls is what you really value, then go for the compact or even prosumer models.

I myself has a Oly C770UZ and mju400. Both have decent capabilities outdoors and the C770UZ can take good indoor/low light pics too.

Before I got my C770UZ, I was thinking of getting a Pana FZ20 (a huge camera in the digital world, with excellent optics & IS) but finally the size of the camera was the main issue for me.

I wanted good pics, big zoom, manual controls and a smallish size which the C770UZ has (megapixels is not a big issue with me & 4MP is plenty), the only downside is no IS (which I can live without) on the Oly which makes long zoom photography somewhat challenging (which I like).

Hope I didn't bore you with the above.

Thon
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 9:43 AM   #4

I first want to thank everyone for their feedback in the sd300 vs s70 thread. You guys were right and they were not fair to compare. The sd300 is "pocketable" and that is what I want. So even if the s70 about the same price with better quality pics, it will not suite my needs as well as the sd300.

Right now, I am heavily leaning toward the sd300 but could use some more feedback.

Origianlly, I was looking at the p150. I really liked its small size. I know that memory, etc. will cost more with the sony but I am not so worried about that. The strange thing is that when I compare pictures, there seems to be some really great ones and some really bad ones (the camera or, more probaly, the people taking the pictures) seem very inconsistant. ALso, many people seem to have quality problems with the sony and also some have a dust problem.

The SD300 has, what I consider, the best, most consistant pictures of the three. I have NOT had a chance to see it because no one around here seems to carry a model I can put my hands on. On the down side, people have said that it takes a "LONG" time to focus and does very poor in low light situations.

Finally, there is the panasonic. I liked this camera the least and have basically eliminated it. The one factor is the image stabilization. I do not know if in all these pictures I have viewed were taken with a tripod or someone holding the camera.

I am going to be doing point and shoot (NEVER with a tripod). As someone posted previously (in support of the panasonic) was that it is worth taking a little less picture quality but have it not be blurred by human movement. Do you guys buy this or not?
My current thinking is:
1) SD300
2) P150 (but VERY close to sd300)
3) f7

I really want to buy the camera today (as I have a wedding party this weekend and want to play with it a little before I go)
argoldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 2:57 PM   #5

Sony makes very good ultra-compacts... they are a bit pricey sometimes but you should check them out too...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote