Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:58 PM   #1

both 4 mp, both 10x zoom. similar price range. your comparisons and preferences please! Many thanks!
tomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2004, 11:48 PM   #2

hello, well, it depends , where you are going to buy them, in retail stores they are about 400$, online - 300$, forget about Minolta, it really sucks, looks like a cheap toy from WalMart, and lens quality is better on S5100, but there is one problem, both of them have 10x zoom, and obviosly, its not for decoration, but S5100 doesnt' have Image Stabilizator, so you'll definetly expirience some problems with sharpness on a full zoom. Right now, i'm myself choosing a camera to buy, i've started with s5100, it's really great camera, but if you are ready to carry a tripod with you, go for it. There are some other options for you, if you are OK to have a 3Mpx camera, instead of 4, check out Canon PowerShot S1 IS or Panasonic FZ3, they are both around 300$ online, very good cameras with image stabilization (just go to the nearest retail store, and try Canon S1 IS, you'll see what i'm talking about). If you are ready to spend some more money, up to a 430$, than i can only advise to you PAnasonic FZ10/FZ15/FZ20,three of them have 12x optical, image stabilization, FZ10/FZ15 are 4 Mpx, FZ20 is 5. They are same size (little bigger than s5100, cause of 12x zoom).

i'm gonna buy myself FZ15 soon, i've made a big research on digicams in last month, and talked to a lot of ppl, so thats my final choice, good luck
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 8:09 PM   #3

Thank you, you may have swayed me! I appreciate the time you put in to my replay!

tomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 6:37 PM   #4

:?::?:GREAT REVIEW, BUT I'VE HEARD THAT SEVERAL COLUMN REVIEWS SAID THAT THE PANASONIC DMZ FZ SERIES HAVE A SLOW ZOOM LENSES RESPONSE--IS THIS TRUE?? I WAS JUST ABOUT SET ON THE FZ3 OR THE FZ15, UNTIL I HEARD THIS--WHAT'S THE SCOOP FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS RESEARCHED AND PERHAPS TRIED HANDS ON!!

THANKS-JOEBEAR:-)
JOEBEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 7:17 PM   #5

well, that was also a BIG question for me, so i asked some ppl on this forum about auto-focus, and here you can read their answers http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
Old Nov 10, 2004, 7:38 PM   #6

metroid wrote:
Quote:
i'm gonna buy myself FZ15 soon, i've made a big research on digicams in last month, and talked to a lot of ppl, so thats my final choice, good luck
Why FZ15? If I were you, I would either go for the FZ3 or FZ20...

I think you should go all the way, and get the FZ20... although, an extra $100 is quite a bit more for 1 MP + flash hot-shoe+whatever else the FZ20 has...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 7:45 PM   #7

tomdude wrote:
Quote:
both 4 mp, both 10x zoom. similar price range. your comparisons and preferences please! Many thanks!
My favourite ultra-zooms are the Canon Powershot S1 IS (I actually bought this) and Panasonic DMC-FZ3. Both of these are 3 megapixels and if that's too small for you, then I think the Panasonic DMC-FZ15 or 20 is best... unless video is important for you, you can't touch the Panasonic FZ series in the ultra-zoom category (I got the S1 IS over FZ3 because of video)...

While we are on the Konica Minolta, why not Z3 (instead of Z2)? Z3 has image stabilization, while Z2 has superior video mode (from what I can remember)...
Old Nov 10, 2004, 7:46 PM   #8

yes, but dont forget, that you also need to buy an extra battery, lens adapter, UV filter, memory card right away, that's about 120$ plus. And i've heard, that FZ20 has more noise, there was several forum topics about it, with picture comparing. so my choice is between FZ10 and FZ15.

FZ15 has a new engine, Venus 2, comparing to Venus 1 on FZ10, so its a little bit faster. BUT: it (FZ15) doesnt has a hot shoe and can't record video with sound.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 8:04 PM   #9

JOEBEAR wrote:
Quote:
BUT I'VE HEARD THAT SEVERAL COLUMN REVIEWS SAID THAT THE PANASONIC DMZ FZ SERIES HAVE A SLOW ZOOM LENSES RESPONSE--IS THIS TRUE??
What does "slow zoom lens" mean? Are you talking about slow-autofocus? Or slow zooming from min zoom to max zoom? Or slow lens?

Most ultra-zooms have auto-focus problems, especially at the telephoto (i.e. high zoom; 10x+). A normal (low-zoom) camera will beat the ultra-zoom in this regard... I havent' heard too many problems about the FZ being slow (what is slow is the Canon S1 IS, which has all sorts of problems focusing)...

The FZ IS slow going from min zoom to max zoom... the Canon S1 IS is much better in this regard (going from 1x to 10x very quickly)...

If you mean slow lens, that makes no sense. The FZ has the fastest lens in the ultra-zoom category (with aperture that can be kept at 2.8 throughout its zoom!!!). It might be slower than normal cameras though--not sure...

Having said that, the "issues" with the Panasonic FZ cameras are:

* They tend to have noise issues. This is especially true for the FZ20, which shows more noise than what some people like. Within the ultra-zoom category, the FZ20 is the best but when you start comparing it to similarly priced normal (low-zoom) cameras like Canon G6 or Sony DSC-V3, it has more noise from what I understand.

* inferior video... the FZ series does not have 640x480 video, whereas the Konica Minolta Z3/Z2 and Canon Powershot S1 IS, as well as several other brands, have it.

* higher cost proprietory batteries and other minor stuff like that

Overall, I consider the FZ line to have the best ultra-zoom cameras if you ignore video...
Old Nov 10, 2004, 8:09 PM   #10

dpreview.com doesn't have the FZ15 so I don't know what its specs are... all I can compare is FZ20 and FZ3, and the FZ20 has a lot more: 2" LCD screen, stronger flash, manual focus, bigger sensor (although still not big enough as the noise issue shows), etc... does the FZ15 have those?

If the FZ15 has manual focus and decent size LCD, I think it's ok...