Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 7, 2004, 11:23 PM   #1

I'm trying to decide b/w these three cameras in the next couple of days before my vacation. My Canon s30 broke -- I was pretty happy with it overall.

My Priorities in order of importance:

1. Image Quality
2. megapixels
3. features (manual and auto controls, so I can use it w/o thinking or be able to compose a shot with some nuance)
4. usability
5. zoom
6. size (I'd prefer as small as possible to increase the ease of carrying around)
7. speed

Cost is only a tie-breaker (though the canon will save me extra cash since I have almost 400 MB in CF cards and two extra batteries and a carrying case).

My uses for the camera are (in order of importance):

1. scenery/wildlife/other outdoor shots
2. portraits/family events
3. occasional action shots

Use for both prints and the Web (I'm a Web designer by profession and digital-photo is an increasing hobby of mine).

My impressions of the cameras in question (from reading here and elsewhere on the Net and looking in camera stores) currently are:

The Canon s70 is the safest bet for me: cost, similar to what I'm used to, high image quality, 7 megapixels. If it had a better zoom, I wouldn't be posting this.

I have not seen enough about the quality of the Olympus C-7000, but it looks like a great camera: compact, nice zoom, 7 megapixels.

If I'm willing to go a little bigger, the Panasonic FZ20 looks fabulous. I think the lower pixels is more than offset by the 12x zoom and features. I also like the hotshoe.

I know this was long; maybe it will also help others looking into the same cameras. Thanks for your input.
holdtheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2004, 1:13 AM   #2

I'll give the link to an advice I got of Mark Goldstein of PhotographyBLOG. I was considering an upgrade from my Olympus Stylus/mju-400 to either a Oly C770UZ, Canon G6 or Oly C70Z. The advice he gave me can be found here:
http://www.photographyblog.com/forum...?showtopic=345

So if you are happy with your Canon's quality, then stick with Canons. The cost savings in terms of memory cards/batteries makes it worthwhile, unless you don't mind spending another fortune on a new memory format.

However, do have a look at the G6 too, the extra controls/swivel LCD is worth considering over the S70.

I think the 7MP makes up a little for the lack of zoom in the S70/G6, there are no test in reviews on this; Steve, please help us here.

Hope that helps.

Thon
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 1:13 AM   #3

Before I missed it out, the Pana FZ20...

It was on my shortlist, but in the end, I went for the Oly C770UZ because of the big size , SD cards and the rather noisy pictures of the FZ20. I do like it for the Leica 12x lens with IS though.

There are pros and cons for all types of cameras, be it ultra zooms or ultra compacts, even dSLRs.

Just be sure that you can live with whatever shortcomings your choice might have. Everybody is still waiting for the "Holy Grail" of all digicams, the ultra compact, ultra zoom with performance like a dSLR with lots and lots of MPs.

Thon
Old Nov 8, 2004, 5:27 AM   #4

you should have a look at the Pentax optio 750z too....
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 7:33 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies so far.

The Pentaxt 750 and Canon G6 are out of my price range (when I said cost is only a tie breaker, I meant among the choices listed, but I set a budget of $600 for the camera, not including memory or other accessories). Plus, neither of these cameras seem to be worthy of the extra cost to me -- their biggest advantage seems to be the swivel LCD, which is not important to me.

Quote:
Everybody is still waiting for the "Holy Grail" of all digicams, the ultra compact, ultra zoom with performance like a dSLR with lots and lots of MPs.
don't foget cheap, too.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 7:48 AM   #6

This 7Mp sensor doesn't get very good reviews over here. The G6 review was pretty bad. It said that the sensor was noisy, had more than it's fair share of dead pixels and lacked dynamic range - highlights were burning out when they shouldn't be. 7Mp seems too much at the moment for these minute sensors.I'd go for the FZ20.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 7:57 AM   #7

Quote:
This 7Mp sensor doesn't get very good reviews over here.
Do you mean only the G6, or all 7MP cameras?

Steve's review says otherwise:

Quote:
Its 7-megapixel images are stunning both in terms of resolution and quality
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/s70_pg7.html

Can you point me to any of these reviews?

thx
Old Nov 8, 2004, 7:35 PM   #8

If you have a budget for about $600, then go for the S70 or its 5MP sibling the S60 or even the old G5. Use the spare cash for other accessories (conversion lenses, etc.).

It just makes more economic sense to stick with Canon for your case, with all the CFs you already have.

Another question is do you actually need 7MP???? or 4-5MP is enough. There is also the memory used/photo ratio to consider (& costs), the bigger the MP the less pics you store per card. (One of the main consideration point for my own upgrade from Stylus/mju-400 to C770UZ.)

Thon
Old Nov 8, 2004, 11:03 PM   #9

Thon -- thanks again for the reply. I went out and bought the s70 tonight, basically I went with my gut feeling that it was the best overall fit, including price.

I don't know that I need 7 MP, but it should be fun. And memory is coming down in price all the time. I just paid about the same price for a 1 GB card that I paid for a 256 GB card 1 year ago.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 12:46 AM   #10

Congrats.

Post some photos for us to see.