Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 8, 2004, 6:00 AM   #1

Me: now an amateur. However, I used to have a makeshift lab in the days when everything was manual (in Eastern Europe at least). Started with B/W and moved to colour (at the time I was using a Russian Zenith SLR, hence the username). Nowadays I'm pretty much a point-and-shooter, but I want to try a bit more again.

Current camera: Sony DSC-S50, 2.1 MP. Needs to be replaced.

Looking for: a camera that I can carry around almost anywhere (e.g. skiing), but not really an ultracompact. (This rules out 'big' cameras, prosumers and digital SLRs).

Intended use: mainly sports &landscape photography (including city landscape at night). I care less about indoor photos of people. I would like to get high quality prints of at least 8x10.

Must-have features: zoom at least 3x (but I'd prefer more), good movie facility, good point-and-shoot ability for 75% of my photos, screen size > 1.5 inch.

My research has narrowed things down to the Casio P600 and Fuji E550. I'll list what I see as their main pros and cons:

Casio: faster lens at telephoto end (f/4 instead of F/5.6 for Fuji).

Fuji: seems to have a bit more purple fringing.

Fuji: bettervideo mode

Casio: higher noise at ISO 100-200? (this can be an important consideration)

Fuji also has a plastic body. I'm not very worried about that. (I reckon that, if I drop the camera, the least I'll be worried about isa crack in the body). Should I think again?

The cameras seem to be pretty close in the following areas: size, speed of operation, manual controls, 4x optical zoom, UK price (including 512MB memory card), LCD size, definition.

Can anyone help with more info on these cameras (or perhaps suggest an alternative)? Thanks in advance.
Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2004, 8:07 AM   #2

No one with any comments on either of these cameras?

I tried to provide sufficient detail about my level and the intended use of the camera, and I did my research before coming here...
Old Nov 9, 2004, 6:50 PM   #3

I would say there is an important advantage that the p600 has that the fuji doesn't, and an important advantage that the fuji has that the p600 doesnt. It depends on which one is more important to you...

1) p600 has an AF assist lamp and does a better job with low light focusing. The e550 is relatively weak in that regard, has not AF assist lamp, plus the maximum exposure is set to only 3 sec, so if night shooting is a high priority, go for the p600

2) The e550 has a GREAT video mode one of the best out there whereas the p600 is a worthless 320x240. If video capture is an important aspect, go for the e550!

In all other regards, both of these cameras are excellent, IMO the best 6MP cameras out there.
Personally I would go for the e550 because it is somewhat "weak" in regards to low light shooting, but not too bad...

Other two cameras I recommend you look into that has the "whole package" would be the pentax 750z and the fuji f810 (like e550 but with AF assist). But the 810 has bad battery life..

I agree with you that the build (metal vs plastic) is not too important.. if you drop it the things you have to worry about are the inner workings, the lens mechanism, etc, not the camera body...

QDravrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 7:51 AM   #4

Thanks! useful info. Will check the others.