Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 8, 2004, 10:19 AM   #1

I am an attorney and need a digital camera. The absolute main goal is to create the clearest, sharpest, crispest, least "noisy" photos for enlargement up to 8 x 10 inches or larger. I need long battery life, I don't care about movie making capability. I don't care how big or small the camera is. I want basically to point and shoot, as I don't know much about aperture and shutter speed and don't want or need to. I don't need much of a zoom capability. Thanks for any help.
twmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2004, 12:49 PM   #2

Hello from the frozen north, Twmarsh. I sort of chuckle when I read your post. You don't say how much money you want to spend. But from the sounds of things money isn't a big issue. I my opinion there are many good cameras available to fill your want list. For point and shoot I think we can safely assume you can eliminate the DSLR's, the ones with interchangeable lenses. Prosumer sounds like something to consider for you. There are quite a few new models coming out or just out, and I would suggest you take a hike to a few of the different retailers and see for yourself. I know you say you don't care too much about zoom, but consider when you enlarge your photo, you are essentially increasing the pixels in size and spreading them out. At some point you will lose definition and your photo will become full of the jaggies. For some photos more zoom in the optical capture will benefit you by already giving a closer view to begin with. Less cropping to do in other words. A bit different than merely enlarging your photo but same principle. If you can get a zoom lense for same price, as one without, I'd take it. You never know. It will only add to your fun at some point. I would also look at the newer cameras that have the image or lense stabilization. To me things like a little noise in the picture take a back seat in importance to sharp, clear image. Camera shake is the culpritfor me, too many times, and since you can't always choose your lighting, in low light areas with a camera thatdetermines your settings for you, you maymiss out on some great shots because of a bit of movement as the camera chooses a slower shutter speed, or greater aperture.You can't always whip out a tripod for those shots. I have read some very detailed accounts in this site about low noise, high noise levels but for a camera that chooses your settings, and assuming you will be shooting mostly well lit places, I think by now most of the prosumer makers have models that are acceptable in that category. More of an issue for me, would be the controls on the camera, are they easy to figure out, easy to operate, in a place where you can use them without changing your grip too much? How about the controls for the lcd on the back, for when you either use it to compose a shot, or for when you want to check the shot you just took. You surely won't want to spend a lot of time fiddling around with knobs and buttons when there's another shot you need to take and it depends on how well the last one looked. So I think it boils down to individual preference in the end. It's not like there are only one or two choices any more. Lucky for us, there are lots to choose from, even though it may make for some second guessing. I would look at the Panasonic models, the latest 4 and 5 MP with the 12X zoom. Check out Nikon, they have a new 8 MP with an image stabiler and Minolta's A2. Whatever you do, look at Steve's reviews before you decide anything. In fact I suggest you browse there right now. Because there you'll find tons of details unknown to amatuers like me. I know guys like me are the ones that end up buying these products and our opinions are helpful, but more in the sense that we can only point you in the right direction. Good luck and best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 10:27 AM   #3

There are better opinions available but so farnone popping up here, take a look at "At your convenience....recommendations please" or something close to that. Might not quite be your answer but it will give you a better idea of some of the various points to consider. Much more depth than my reply...Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 10:41 AM   #4
kaw

any of the panasonic fz1, 3, 10, 15 or 20's will be good.

you may want to check out the panasonic forum on this site towards the bottom of the lists.

i just recevied my fz1 which is for my father who only does point and shoot with little changes.

there is software that can enhance most pictures from any camera.

the panasonic has a 12x optical zoom

other cameras will go wider for closeups

gl on finding you camera. the fz1 was priced at $179 at www.viking.com let them know others have purchased last week at this price.
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 11:13 AM   #5

Thanks very much for the info. I decided to go with the Canon PowerShot G6. I heard a lot of good things about it.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 11:17 AM   #6
kaw

cool, enjoy the world of digital pics
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 11:38 AM   #7

Probably just for the archives:G but some of the dslrs manufacturers sell data verification kits. Worth looking into if it ever comes down to being presented in court.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 12:09 PM   #8

Very interesting. Do you have anyinfo about any particular products (brand names, etc.)? Thanks for the tip.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 1:31 PM   #9

One of the ones is from canon DVK-E2 it works with the 1d mkII and the 20d. There is a kit for the 1ds, but that is probably way to excessive. The kit runs 700 figure 1500 for body and whatever for the lens. Not cheap, but it does prove when a photo was taken, and that it is as originally shot.http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=319787
this _will_ be much more expensive than the g6, but low light
as well as proof of integrity may make it worthwhile. It is
more typical for this to be used by law enforcement, but could be useful here to.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 1:47 PM   #10

Amazing product. I had no idea such a thing existed. Thanks.