Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 9, 2004, 2:10 AM   #1

Hello all.
I am getting a camera for free ( email me at [email protected] to know how ) and I have a choce of the cameras in the title.

I know little about cameras, so don't get mad. I was personally leaning towards the A95, but I don't know. I really like the A95 and the W1. Whats the best camera out of the ones stated in the title?
Thanks
Inferno69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2004, 3:32 PM   #2

To compare Canon with Sony is sad.

Sony doesn't render

Buy Canon A95 or S1
rico-br-rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 5:02 PM   #3

Really? I though Sony was a better brand then Canon.. heh, shows how much I know!
Old Nov 9, 2004, 5:34 PM   #4

The previous poster obviously is biased Sony is very good when it comes to ultra-compacts, while Canon usually has pretty good mid-end larger cameras...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 6:37 PM   #5

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
The previous poster obviously is biased Sony is very good when it comes to ultra-compacts, while Canon usually has pretty good mid-end larger cameras...
So if money wasn't an issue ( since im getting it for free ) which would you get?
Old Nov 9, 2004, 7:00 PM   #6

Inferno69 wrote:
Quote:
So if money wasn't an issue ( since im getting it for free ) which would you get?
Sony P150
SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 7:30 PM   #7

SteveC wrote:
Quote:
Inferno69 wrote:
Quote:
Sony P150
The Sony P150 isn't a choice
Old Nov 9, 2004, 9:15 PM   #8

(note: I actually bought the S1 2 weeks ago... haven't used it yet though)...

hmm... let's see... let me do a side-by-side comparison, courtesty dpreview.com:

(if you want to do the comparison, here is a direct link:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...n_a95&show=all
)

The camera prices are close to each other, with the Canon S1 IS costing the most (by a little bit)...and the Sony W1 costing the least (by a little bit)...

The two Sony are ultra-compact, the Canon S1 IS is SLR-like (in terms of size, not features) ultra-zoom... and the Canon A95 is a compact point&shoot...

The S1 IS is 3MP while all the others are 5MP...

S1 has the smallest sensor while the other 3 have the same size (larger) sensor...

S1 is obviously an ultra-zoom (10x), while the others are normal zoom (3x)...

S1 has the smallest LCD at 1.5" and the W1 has the largest at 2.5" !!!

The S1 has a horrible EVF while all the others have optical viewfinders (not that you would use the viewfinder often with an ultra-compact)...

My recommendation is:

* Get the S1 IS if you are into photography and like manual features, more control, etc
* Get the A95 if you want a general family camera, where size isn't that important
* Get the Sony W1 if you want something small, that you can carry in your purse/pocket. What I like about the W1 is the 2.5" screen. This is massive!!! The pixel count is lower than the other Sony but the size is big. The W1 also looks cool (the black one that is)...

Since I actually bought the S1, I'm biased... but nevertheless, if *I* got one of these for free, I would get the S1. This is simply because I'm interested in seeing if I'm into photography and size isn't an issue...

If you don't care about photography and just want the best listed camera for general use, get the Sony DSC-W1 (A95 is better for general use IMO but the W1 is ultra-compact and might be desired by a typical non-amateur-photographer).
Old Nov 9, 2004, 9:20 PM   #9

NOTE: In my previous post, I did NOT evaluate image quality!!! However, comparing image quality across these cameras is next to pointless because these cameras are in different classes (ultra-compact vs ultra-compact vs general point&shoot).
Old Nov 9, 2004, 10:07 PM   #10

Ok well I don't care "THAT" much about size but I really wouldnt wanna S1.. so its either the W1 or the A95. The A95 isn't that much bigger then the W1... and I'm not a photographer or anything so I just want a simple camera just to take ocasional (sp?) pictures, and if I go on a vacation or a special event. So for my needs what do you think is a better camera? A95 or W1?
Thanks!