Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 9, 2004, 8:32 AM   #1

Hi,

I am thinking of upgrading my Kodak dx3900 to something with a bit more quality. I have read excellent reviews on the Canon G6 and the Pentax sounds fantastic but can't find a review of the Pentax.

Can anyone offer an opinion or review of these to help me make up my mind.

Many thanks for any help.

Regards
goodpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2004, 5:14 AM   #2

:blah:Any ideas out there?

Thanks
:sad:
Old Nov 11, 2004, 8:33 AM   #3

Steve has just reviewed the 750Z - can't really help much more, I'm a just a point and shoot person myself.
jkmng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 7:47 PM   #4

I have just returned a G6 for a refund. My partner has a G2, which gives better image quality. The G6 displayed terrible softness and distortion around the edges. The lens seems very fragile when extended. The LCD was all but useless in sunshine, whereas the G2 was still usable in the same conditions. The flash card compartment seemed likely to break sooner rather than later, which is worrying if you take the card in and out a lot to use in a reader. The images from the G6 at standard settings were much too vivid. There were a few hot pixels from the sensorright out of the box, which had not been remapped. The G2 has a solid feel about it which I felt that the G6 lacked. My partner was jealous when I ordered the G6, but she soon realised that there was little to be envious of.

I do not wish to bring the wrath of all G6 owners upon myself as I am sure that others are pleased with their purchase. I am just thankful that I still have my Sony F717, for which I have renewed my faith. I am sorry that I took it for granted, it is solid, reliable, and gives excellent image quality.Newer does not mean better, but we insist on buying the latest specifications, just take a look at all the 8 mega-pixel cameras and the questionsabouttheimage quality over their "lesser pixel" counterparts.

I do not understand the race for more pixels.....as the images get bigger more image information has to be discarded during theprocess of reduction, so unless you are printing large images all the time it seems pointless to go over 4-6 mega-pixels. The average person will print no bigger than 7x5 inches.

My advice......look for the camera that gives the best image quality as judged by you. We are so lucky to be able to find so many sample images around the net, download them and try resizing, cropping and printing. Forums like this are full of people arguing the point for their new expensive camera, a lot perhaps not prepared to admit that they may have made a mistake.

Bottom line.....try as many cameras and download as manyimages as you can. Buy from a dealer who will let you take it back if you do not like it.

I for my part have ordered the Canon 300D, purely based upon samples around the net and by monitoring other users on these and other forums. It is not a camera that I would buy if it were my only camera, but I feel it should compliment the F717. The 300D has a history, and a wealth of information isavailable, so my decision is hopefully a lot more informed. This is not so for the latest cameras, such as the G6,and I admit Iwasinfluenced by the"numbers"......never again....hopefully.

Good luck with your choice....let us know what you decide.
pauloffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 9:25 AM   #5

Another camera comparable to the Canon G6 is the Sony V3... check that out also...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 10:56 AM   #6

I'd go with the G6. It's more user-friendly and highly rated by the pros.
bosamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 5:40 AM   #7

I eventually decided on a Pentax Optio 750Z as its smaller than the G6 and easier to carry.

I have bought it on the proviso that I can take it back after 1 week which is enough time to give it a good going over.

So far I am delighted. The movie capabilities which were low on my original requirements have far exceeded my expectations.

The picture quality is superb. There are more features then I can shake a stick at. All the features are easily adjustable and easily accessible. Good menu system and everythink is just so flexible.

I will post some sample pics later
:-)
Old Nov 19, 2004, 8:36 AM   #8

Have you noticed any image noise issues. I'm considering the 750z or the Olympus C7000. The Oly seems to have less image noise, but in Steve's sample images, the Pentax looks sharper when comparing the same comparable images. Any feedback would be appreciated!
dakzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 3:53 AM   #9

Hi,

If you'd like me to take any pics with any specific settings in any conditions, let me know and I'll give them a go and post the results and pics on here!

Regards