Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 10, 2004, 8:05 PM   #1

With FZ20 prices on the rise, there is not much of a price difference between these camera's. Can someone tell me how much better the Canon is?

Thanks

Scott
seastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:29 AM   #2

I'm just a newbie and I don't know much about DSLRs... having said that...

The Digital Rebel is an SLR while the FZ20 is not. These two are in totally different leagues...

Without knowing much about DSLRs, I will say outright that the Rebel should be MUCH better than the FZ20. It doesn't have any zoom (you need extra lens for that) and it likely requires faster memory cards (not sure), but it should be far better than the FZ20 when it comes to picture quality and range. For example, DSLRs generally have VERY LITTLE noise at high ISO settings. I am guessing the Rebel will be like that too...

BTW, are you sure the FZ20 costs the same as the Digital Rebel? Is that the Rebel body only or with lens? Also, it doesn't make sense to me how digicam prices can go UP? :?: Digicam prices generally drop because the technology improvments are very quick...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:00 AM   #3

I don't think the price is the same: you need to buy at least 2 lenses if you want the same zoom range for the Canon Digital Rebel as for the Panasonic FZ20. The total could be in the range of 1500-2000 euros, depending on which lenses do you buy. I believe Panasonic FF20 cost much less, doesn'it?

DSLR , in general, have 2 main advantages over digicams:

- low noise even at high ISO (400, 800, even 1600)

- they are generally faster

The cons are:

- price

- weight and size (you need to carry the body + lenses)

- perhaps more difficult to learn

It depends a lot on what kind of pictures you will take. In my understanding, FZ20 is good for almost everything, except if you want to take pictures of fast moving subjets in low light, or, in general, if you plan to take a lot of shots in low light and without using the flash.

Please note I have never used Panasonic nor Canon, I say that based on the reviews and user comments

Regards,
Dario
dariob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:22 AM   #4

Both are good cameras for what they are. The real question is: do you need a DSLR for what you want to do. There are some wonderfully knowledgeable people here who can give you some advice in that regard. But, they need to know what type of photography you wish to do. As one of the other posters mentioned, buying a DSLR body is only the beginning. That body is no good without the lenses. The total cost you should look for is the cost of the body, lenses and potentially external flash you would need to buy in order to accomplish your photographic goals. I would caution right off the bat just pricing lenses that will match the total zoom range on the FZ-20 - that is not a good strategy. There are many lenses that all cover a given focal range, however you also need to consider other factors like do you need constant aperature? Do you need macro capability? I suggest posting your requirements then people can respond to whether either of these cameras can meet those requirements, and in the case of the Rebel, what lense(s) and accessories you may need in order to accomplish them.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 9:04 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I've owned a Kodak digicam for about 4 years (DC4800) it has performed well. I have used the manual features on this camera quite a lot. Image quality is the most important attribute for me. The size of the camera is not too important. I'll take the extra time to take more artistic shots. Ability to take great indoor and out door pictures. I have fooled around with some astrophotography. I enjoy photography as a hobby, but it's only one of my many interests. If buying an SLR with 1 lens to start is ok. I would not consider a Nikon SLR and a $2K zoom lens. I usually like to buy good quality (not the best though)and keep it for a while. Thanks for any advise you might offer.

Thanks Again

Scott
seastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:58 PM   #6

Just got back from the Ritz camera store and have their catalogue in front of me. The Canon Digital Rebel has a 18-55 mm zoom lens and retails for $999.99 with a $100 rebate from Canon. The lens on this camera is interchangeable with Canon EF lenses if you want a more powerful zoom.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ20 retails for $599. 12X Zoom. Fixed lens. Like a previous poster stated a totally different class from the Rebel. I checked it out at the suggestion of posters on a different topic and I am VERY IMPRESSED. The quality of the Leica lens, and the light that is still allowed in during the zoom process is a strong selling point.

Two different cameras for two completely different levels of use anduser!

tomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 12:42 AM   #7

seastwood wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I've owned a Kodak digicam for about 4 years (DC4800) it has performed well. I have used the manual features on this camera quite a lot. Image quality is the most important attribute for me. The size of the camera is not too important. I'll take the extra time to take more artistic shots. Ability to take great indoor and out door pictures. I have fooled around with some astrophotography. I enjoy photography as a hobby, but it's only one of my many interests. If buying an SLR with 1 lens to start is ok. I would not consider a Nikon SLR and a $2K zoom lens. I usually like to buy good quality (not the best though)*and keep it for a while. Thanks for any advise you might offer.

*Thanks Again

** Scott
AS the previous posters said, they are from 2 different classes of camera.

If you like an all-in-one package with strong performance, then the Pana FZ20 would be suitable, but bear in mind, there maybe an even bigger megapixel FZxx coming in possibly the next 6 months.

However, the DReb is a dSLR, which is the most flexible design available (not to mention the best possible performance to date at that price bracket). You can customize the camera with lenses that best fit the purpose.

Now, if you are asking how much better the Canon would be, it would be much much better in terms of performance and pic quality. But then again, the FZ20 has an amazing 12X zoom, which as many has said, can only be replicated with 2 different lenses (I would say 3, 1 for macro) for the Canon DReb.

To see if it's suitable for you would mean to see your level of needs. If you want the best photo quality/performance, and willing to spend more money on lenses later, the DReb is for you.

If you want something that is great and easy to use in a single package, then the FZ20 is for you.

Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 9:26 AM   #8

Ok, let me try to summarize things for you. By all accounts so far, the FZ20 is an outstanding digicam. It has a great zoom, constant 2.8 aperature, burst mode and hotshoe for external flash. This is probably as close as a digicam can get to a DSLR without actually getting there. So, it looks to be a great camera (although it's somewhat new so future reviews may uncover more issues). It sells from reputable etailers online for about $520 USD. The Digital Rebel sells for about $760 body only or $810 with kit lense.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Here is where the FZ20 will start to fall apart - if you need to shoot ISO speeds 200 or higher - once you do you will start to see noise. This is true of ALL the point and shoots because of their small sensor size. The Digital Rebel can shoot up to 1600 with about the same noise as the FZ20 will show at 200. So, you will also need a tripod more using this camera (as you will need to shoot at ISO100) more often if you are shooting groups or landscape (where you can't take advantage of the 2.8 aperature). At lower aperatures (higher f-stop) this will again move heavily in the Rebel's favor as you can just up the ISO on the Rebel and still maintain the same shutter speed - not so on the FZ20 (without getting noise).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Also the shutter lag on the FZ20 is still greater than the Rebel, so if you want a quick shot you'll lose somthing there. So, if you are planning on shooting indoor sports or outdoor sports in poor lighting the FZ20 just won't cut it - no point and shoot will. But, if you want to do that sort of thing with the Rebel, you are talking about needing at LEAST a 70-200 f4 ($600) and most likely a 70-200 f2.8 lense ($750-$1300 depending on which lense). So, it will cost you 3 times the $$ to get that capability from the Rebel.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Last piece of info though, is the FZ20 or any point and shoot doesn't really give you much room to grow. Since you have already been experiencing with manual modes that will be nothing new here. If you go with the Rebel I would suggest the Canon 28-135 IS USM lense (about $400) - this is a great lense to start with. It is high quality (although not an L) and certainly better and more versatile than the kit lense. Then later you can add additional lensesas you figure out exactly what types of photography interest you. I would also caution that if you are going to do a lot of indoor low-light photography, the built in flash on the Rebel is pretty bad - it's OK as a fill flash but you will probably have to get an external flash.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"In summary the FZ20 will get more bang-for-the-buck out of the box for $510. The Canon is more likely a $1100 initial investment butmuch moreroom to grow and remember SLR lenses will likely survive past your initial Canon camera. Most SLR users here have probably gone through 2 or 3 bodies with the some of the same lenses.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 10:54 AM   #9

Nice Summary comparison JohnG. I vote that post be sticky.. since there are so many similar questions..
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 4:48 PM   #10

yeah... good post JohnG
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote