Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 11, 2004, 1:40 PM   #1

Not decided on tft or crt, i would like some reccomendations for the price range tho please?
200-250 can be including or excluding vat, as i may be able to claim the vat back.
looking for a monitor that is good for photo editing, provides true results, and good for videos

thanks
JoeB_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:37 PM   #2

I've used a Dell UXGA (1600x1200) and various other TFT's, but found them to not match the performance of my age-old Sony CRT (400 PS). Many people like the very high end TFT's, but it's really hard to match CRT quality even at a high price. The TFT's are sharper than my CRT, but that doesn't make up for the brightness and colour and angle insensitivity in my usage. I find it a shame to look at my images on the Dell UXGA after seeing them on my Sony.

Here's a link to a lot of discussion on these subjects:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...egory=Monitors
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 9:34 AM   #3

One of the best cheaper brands of photo/video editing monitors is LaCie. If I do my math correctly, that price range puts it at around 300-375 USD. I don't believe you can get one of their monitors in that price range. Their 19" runs aorund $600 last I looked (that was awhile ago.)

I agree with Madwand with respect to TFTs. It is my understanding as well that they are not as good as well made CRTs. Following Madwand's link, here is a thread discussing almost your exact question:
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=008gAA

It is partially a question of your standards and what you will do with the pictures. If its commercial work, then TFT won't cut it. If its for the web, showing pictures to distant relatives... then I bet it's "good enough".

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 11:09 AM   #4

thanks alot guys! that info made me decide on lacie, i ordered about 3 hours ago the 19" (265£ uk).
JoeB_UK is offline   Reply With Quote