Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 11, 2004, 6:01 PM   #1

I'm looking for a relatively compact digital camera with at least a 10x zoom lens. I've narrowed my choices to:

Canon PowerShot S1; like the size, CF card use and image stabilization; concerned about only 3 MP resolution

Kodak DX7590: at this point tied for my first choice (I think...): like the idea of the higher MPs and big screen

Olympus C770: tied with the Kodak. Like the fact it is a bit smaller

Konica Minolta DiMage Z3: like the image stabilization

I guess it comes down to: if I want image stabilization, I'd probably go with the Z3; if it's not a requirement, I'd probably go for the C770 because of it's size.

Just thought I'd post to see if anyone has any words of wisdom...

THanks!
Argelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2004, 6:13 PM   #2

I can't say anything about the cameras you listed - just wanted to say that you would be doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least consider the Panasonic FZ3, or the FZ10/15/20 if you don't mind a larger camera. Check out the reviews if you have the time...

Phil
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 6:21 PM   #3

Thanks. I've just come across the FZ3. My only concern about that one is the size. I had (incorrectly I guess) assumed the Panasonic FZ3 is larger than my four choices.

I currently have a K-M DiMAGE A2. Obviously a great camera, but I have decided it's simply a bigger camera than I want to lug around, so I'm looking for something a bit more compact. I need to get to a store so I can actually hold them in my hands...
Argelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 3:39 PM   #4

The Panasonic FZ3 is the same size or slightly smaller than the Canon and the K-M Dimage Z3. If you plan on using the bigger zooms, I would narrow down my selections to only the cameras with image stabilization. Unless of course you plan on using a mono/tripod.

All of these cameras are pretty good from what I can tell, since I just recently went thru this decision myself (bought the FZ3). Because you already own a Dimage A2, think about what kind of photography you do and what niche you want the new camera to fill. Then see which camera best suits your needs and wants.

The Oly is the best indoor camera of the group with the best color representation. The Pana has the great constant 2.8 aperature lens and an AF assist light. The Canon has a very nice 30fps video mode. Not familiar with the Kodak... sorry.
dsuds is offline   Reply With Quote