Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 11, 2004, 7:46 PM   #1

I originally was looking at the Nikon D70 but I decided that it really doesn't fit in my budget. I am looking for a camera that is at least the same amount of megapixels (6.1) and has the following features:
  • Files saved in RAW and/or TIFF
    Aperture and shutter-priority modes
    Price less than $600

I am also looking for a camera for my mom that can take macro pictures, save in TIFF and/or RAW, is small enough for her to put in her purse, and has enough megapixels to print 8x10's.
sfnitro230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2004, 6:48 AM   #2

Not sure about US prices but i was considering DSLR and could not afford something decent, so i got a Fuji s20 pro for £300 awesome camera, that outspecs machines at ten times the price.:shock:
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 10:13 AM   #3

sfnitro230 wrote:
Quote:
I originally was looking at the Nikon D70 but I decided that it really doesn't fit in my budget. I am looking for a camera that is at least the same amount of megapixels (6.1) and has the following features:
  • Files saved in RAW and/or TIFF
    Price less than $600

I am also looking for a camera for my mom that can take macro pictures, save in TIFF and/or RAW, is small enough for her to put in her purse, and has enough megapixels to print 8x10's.
hmm... are you looking for 2 cameras or one? It's not clear to me if the last paragraph is for the same camera.

If you are looking for two cameras, one of them should be compact or ultra-compact (but these cost more for same features) for your mom, and probably an ultra-zoom or mid-end normal (low-zoom) prosumer camera.

If you are just looking for one camera, you have to look for a compact (the ultra-compacts don't generally have the features you listed) that satisfies both of you: size & features.

8"x10" pics require around 3 megapixels. Although some people print 8x10 with 2 MP, I would only look at 3+ MP...

Quote:
Files saved in RAW and/or TIFF
The mid-end and higher prosumer cameras have this feature. The ultra-compacts generally do not so if you really want this, you will have to narrow down your choices...

Quote:
Mid-end and higher prosumer cameras all have this... some of the ultra-compacts have it too (but it isn't as good as on the bigger cameras)...

Quote:
Price less than $600
You can get good prosumer cameras around that price range.

I think one of your first decisions is to figure out what sort of camera you want (assuming you want two cameras; if you just want one, I imagine you would want a compact and that will narrow down your choices). In particular, you need to figure out if you want an ultra-zoom or normal camera. Basically, do you want a zoom of 10x+ or are you ok with the standard 3x/4x?

Roughly speaking, a normal zoom camera will have better features than an ultra-zoom at the same price range (of course, the ultra-zoom has better zoom). Ultra-zoom is good for sports (where you need to zoom in on a player), animals, and stuff like that. Normal zoom is better for general use. You might want to read some reviews of normal zoom and ultra-zoom cameras to get a rough idea of how good and bad they are. An example of a very good ultra-zoom is the Panasonic DMC-FZ20, while an example of a normal camera would be Canon G6 or Sony DSC-V3.

BTW, are you sure you want a TIFF/RAW on a compact camera for your mom? The raw formats are suited for post-processing on a computer or something and are you willin to do that?
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote