Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 11, 2004, 8:26 PM   #1

Here is list of critieria that I have choosen:

a) small enough to fit into pocket so I will take it more places

b) 3x or higher optic zoom

c) great low light ccd - indoor people / ebay pics

d) fast shutter power on response -- to take the 1st picture response- sports

e) ease of use menu/operations.

f) will play with some features, but really, point,shoot and move on.

e) watch out for battery drainers....decent to good battery life.

f) did I mentiongreat pictures?

g) resolution: mainly shooting in 2MB/3MB mode. Sometimes may need to go to 4MB mode.

g) price under $300

Well, that's it. Some contenters on my list are: Canon A80, Nikon 4100/3200, Canon S410, Canon SD200, Sony P93, Kodak CX 7430. (order above is my preference of current picks)

:shock: Let me say that appreciate you guys/gals spending countless hours answering these emails for the love of your hobby! thx greg
greg_allmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2004, 11:08 AM   #2

Any comments? Am I too broad with my request? Let's narrow it down:

Canon A80, Nikon 4100, Nikon 3200, SOny P100, Minolta G500, Sony W1.

Head to head pro's cons if ALL above camera's were same price, which one would you consider with previous post critiera.

Thx greg
greg_allmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 11:14 AM   #3
smc

Pretty much looking at the same features as I am. Mine's going to have becredit card size small; fit easily in a shirt or pants pocket. I 'll add That I need to have AV out to the TV.

Don't know much about Kodak and Nikons. I'm sure they are nice cameras.The companies Ihave been focusing on and it showsup as my bias are Canon, Fuji, Casio and Sony.

The Sony I can afford, the L1, does not have AV out and it needs memory stick pro which is expensive. Love the lens and they do take awesome pictures. This could be a great choice for you,-price is$290 at Amazon. The P93 is just a smidgeon too big for me but it is a great camera.

Casio's also do not have AV out butmake nice pictures, great battery life, very small , not great video options. Check out the z30 or z40-price at Amazon $270.

I'm partial to the sd200($280), I've commented on them extensively here. s410 a little bigger does make great pictures, lousy video. If you can live with 2x zoom, the sd110 ($199)is also a great buy. The A85 is great 4MP camera. I was looking for something smaller than that.

I like Fuji especially the f440($260) bit man are those xD cards expensive!

Ireally haven't looked at too many 3MP cameras other than the sd200. There are many good ones out there, Minolta X-series, etc.

Steve

smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 11:51 AM   #4

Steve,

Thanks for your comments. You mentioned the Canon A85, I was targeting the A80 which I understand has better results than A85 and is more in line with the newer A95.

On one hand it's GREAT to have all of these options to choose from in Digital Cameras, but on the other hand, it drives you nuts to make only one purchase.

Not familiar with the Sony L1. Steve reviewed the camera but states to check back after full review has been completed.

Canon SD300 Elph looks good however, $359 is a little outside of budget.

I just put my hands on the Sony W1, which I liked and $245 is in budget.

....thanks the search continues.

Greg
GregA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 2:35 PM   #5
smc

A w1 for $245!! That's sounds unbelievably good. if you don't mind,could you tell me where you found that price? It's little larger than I would like butfor an awesome camera I would seriously consider it.

For the prices I've found, I would lean towards the A80/85, they use cheaper CF cards, probably very close to pic quality of the W1 and $100 cheaper. Next Sony p100 and then W1.

But I'm trying to stay below $350 with 512 memory and credit card size dimensions so for me the only one that meets that and myother criteriais thesd200.

Steve
Old Nov 13, 2004, 5:34 PM   #6

The best price I found for the Sony W1 was $245 from : A&M Photo World

http://www.amphotoworld.com/product....l=Streetprices

I am not familiar with this resource, so beware, but I have found many results under $265.

I also think the Canon SD200 / SD 300 are good choices as Steve's review states. The W1 did not get that great of a review in Consumer Reports. The Olympus Stylus 410 is another contender now. I found this camera for $ 245. I would love a comparision between the Canon SD200 and the Olympus Stylus 410.

thx Greg A.
GregA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 7:53 AM   #7

HI!

Look at the nikon coolpix 3700 too. It's cheap, good quality pics and mode, easy to use...

ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 3:11 PM   #8

DO NOT BUY FROM A&M PHOTOWORLD!!

Read the following: http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1988.html

There are over 100 of these electronics shops in Brooklyn, NY that are basically pulling the bait and switch scam. I can't stress this enough, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check for reviews and feedback about the source you are buying from online. I thought places like Circuit City Online would be simple to purchase from but after reading about 1/3 of the people with horror stories I went against it.

Good luck
KB
swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 6:35 AM   #9
smc

I usually shy away from most of those New York based camera companies, with the exception of Band H photo. I've also heard too many horror storiesabout them, bait and switch, gray market, send camera only-they keep everything else in the box, etc. That's whyt I'm trying to stick to Amazon. Plus no tax no shipping.

steve
Old Nov 15, 2004, 4:09 PM   #10

Hi Greg,

You may want to also look at Olympus Stylus 400 available on Olympus Ebay site for around $200 quite often.

Nice things about it are:

1. Relatively weather resistant

2. You can buy a 2 YEAR warranty for just $49 smackaroonies (sp).

3. Easily will fit in pants or shirt pocket.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote