Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:37 PM   #1

I cannot decide between these two great cameras. Prices are about the same, Canon has 10x optical, Panasonic 12x and lighterbut no tilting LCD. Is there much difference between 10 and 12x optical? Which one takes better picture?

Thanks.
tyrannosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2004, 12:54 PM   #2

Depends on what you are using it for. The Canon does not have an AF assist light, and has a hard time focusing in lower light situations. The FZ3 also has a fixed 2.8 aperture throughout its zoom range, which is an advantage if you take long zoom shots on overcast days.

I think the Canon does a little better in outdoor shots, in good light.

I bought an FZ3 a few weeks ago and love mine. The only fault I've found so far is pronouced red-eye on indoor flash photos. But I'm still so new to this camera that I haven't played with the flash settings yet.
dsuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 2:43 PM   #3

tyrannosaur wrote:
Quote:
I cannot decide between these two great cameras. Prices are about the same, Canon has 10x optical, Panasonic 12x and lighter but no tilting LCD. Is there much difference between 10 and 12x optical? Which one takes better picture?

Thanks.
I came down to those two cameras as well. I went with the Canon S1 because of video. THe Panasonic has better pics but Canon has better video.

If you do NOT care about the video, get the FZ3; if you care about video, get the S1...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 3:19 PM   #4

I knew there was some cool feature the Canon had over the FZ3, but for the life of me I couldn't remember what it was til you mentioned it - VIDEO. 640x480 30fps video.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 4:20 PM   #5

dsuds wrote:
Quote:
I knew there was some cool feature the Canon had over the FZ3, but for the life of me I couldn't remember what it was til you mentioned it - VIDEO. 640x480 30fps video.
If you are looking for a compact ultra zoom with great movie, then look at the Olympus C770UZ with MPEG4. Only downside, no IS. But generally better pics.

And a 128MB card can take 9 mins worth of MPEG4 640x480 30fps video with sound.

Thon
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 6:31 PM   #6

I'm down to these same two cameras, with the addition of the Konica-Minolta DiMAGE Z3.

I like its form-factor better than the Panasonic which looks sort of clunky. (And it has a 4 MP rather than 3).

Any thoughts on this choice? I've read some reviews which sorta pan the Z3's picture quality...
Argelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 10:11 PM   #7

The Panasonic is an awesome camera. It actually surprised me how small it really is.

The video is cool but not the best. The FZ3 is meant to be a great still camera, which it is. If I was looking for high quality video, I'd buy a camcorder.
Treasuredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 9:36 AM   #8

Argelius wrote:
Quote:
I'm down to these same two cameras, with the addition of the Konica-Minolta DiMAGE Z3.

I like its form-factor better than the Panasonic which looks sort of clunky. (And it has a 4 MP rather than 3).

Any thoughts on this choice? I've read some reviews which sorta pan the Z3's picture quality...
I can't really find any in-depth reviews of Konica Minolta Z3 , where they do comparison against other cameras. The only one I found is the Z2 vs the rest (but note that the Z3 is supposed to be re-designed so I'm not sure how relevant this comparison of Z2 is):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz3/page8.asp

I personally don't think the Z3 would be a poor choice. I think the Panasnoic FZ3 is the best for image quality but if you want video, the Konica Minolta Z3 should definitely be a good choice (along with Canon S1 IS)...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 4:50 PM   #9

:?:?:angry: I thought I had it settled on the smaller cheaper, FZ3 with 12x zoom, and IS with full range 2.8 aperature and good pictures. Then I made the mistake of reading too many reviews on other cameras, notably the Oly C765UZ, which Steve and others list as having Pros:

1. Very good pictures 2. Best to better inside flash shoots with little red-eye

3. 4 MP vs 3MP4. Cheaper by $5-15. 5. Metal vs Plastic 6.~Same shot speed fps

7. 1.8" vs 1.5" LCD 8. More resolution selections < max 9. Manule focus

CONS: 1. 10X VS 12 X ZOOM WITH ONLY 3.7 Aperature 2. No IS

Any head to head conparison of photo quality, IS effect , blur, shutter speed/fstop at long zoom? Help Clear my head with some lessssubjective 'facts?'

help---JoeBear:angry::angry::angry:
JOEBEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 8:21 AM   #10

Joebear,

I don't think you are going to find too many people who would have both cameras, so I doubt you'll get much head to head comparison information. I personally own an FZ3, so I can give you my impresions of that camera.

With IS, it is easier to get high magnification photos without the need for a monopd/tripod. If you pick up any high zoom camera with IS turned off, you'll see what I mean. This can be overcome with a faster shutter speed if the light is good, but if the light is bad you'll have difficulty getting a good shot.

The 2.8 aperature of the Pana does not penalize you for using zoom, which I must say, is pretty sweet. I had a cheap Fuji digicam that really disappointed me with how large the aperature change was. Again, in good light, it isn't a problem, but lower light situations will present more of a challenge. This can be overcome by using a slower shutter speed to get a properly exposed image, but you run the risk of motion blur.

The AF assist light on the Pana also makes it easier to get a flash shot in very low light conditions. I've used it a few times (just playing around) and gotten focused shots when the light was so low that the EVF was completely dark.

Panasonic seems to have done lots of things to make it easier for the non-pro to get a good photo, and this weighed heavily in my decision to buy an FZ3. And so far, I am happy with my choice.

To be fair, I'll also give you my impression of the downside of the Pana as well:

The pics I've taken so far do not have really vibrant color, so they appear a little "flat" or "washed out". This can probably be fixed with an EV setting change, but I haven't played with it yet.

The pictures appear a little bit softer than I expected, when viewed on the computer screen. This is easily fixed by running a usharp mask in post processing, so I don't mind this much at all. My guess is that the camera is designed this way to keep down purple fringing, and it may be common on other cameras as well. I have noticed this softness mentioned about other long zoom cameras.

At full zoom, the cameras sometimes takes a bit of time getting a focus lock on a subject. This varies from a darn fast .3/.5 seconds to almost a full second. I have not played with this much to determine exactly what conditions cause the camera to do a full focus sweep, which is what takes so long. I have only found this annoying when trying to do "turn/zoom/shoot" action shots so please do not blow this flaw out of proportion. I don't think any camera could be focused faster manually unless it had a real focus ring. This also does not affect wide angle focusing, which seems pretty fast all the time.

I have tried to show what I thing are both the good and bad points of the Panasonic FZ3. I am very pleased with my choice and feel it would make an excellent camera for anyone looking for a good long zoom digicam.