Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 12, 2004, 8:55 AM   #1

What camera should i buy?

I need a 4 MP camera with large zoom, good image quality and fast respnse (low shutter lag).

I want to take shots at sports and stuff.

Please help me out.

If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks
mario_sav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2004, 6:19 PM   #2

mario_sav wrote:
Quote:
What camera should i buy?

I need a 4 MP camera with large zoom, good image quality and fast respnse (low shutter lag).

I want to take shots at sports and stuff.

Please help me out.

If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks
The better choices you can have for 4-5MPs ultra zooms are:

Panasonic: FZ15, FZ10, FZ20
Konica Minolta: Z2, Z3
Olympus: C770UZ, C765UZ, C750UZ

Of the above, the Olympus have the disadvantage of no Image Stabilisation but better photos.

The Panasonic have the better optics with IS, but some do complaint about noisy pictures (not serious).

The KMs have somewhat softer image and has IS as well.

IS is only useful when you use 8x and above zoom at longer shutter speeds (1/100 s or slower), but it doesn't not guarantee perfect results all the time.

Shutter lag (Autofocus) time is always a problem in ultra zooms, but more practice on the pre-focusing routine (half-pressed shutter button) and it shouldn't be a problem.

I own a Olympus C770UZ, more compact, better pics and great MPEG4 movies (more minutes for less memory). IS? Not a major issue for me.

Thon
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 8:10 PM   #3

I have also considered the panasonic fz3, although it's 3 MP , it has very good image quality (i have read so) and it has a 12x zoom and image stabilization for shooting fast moving an far away vehicles (such as champ cars), it also has average to low shutter lag. The thing is that it doesn´t have manual focus.

Ah about th other panasonic, they are out of range (not enough money).:sad:

Does anyone have the panasonic fz3? If you do please tell me about it.

Thanks.
mario_sav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 7:25 AM   #4

I have an FZ3. Bought it about 3 weeks ago when Circuit City had their free battery & case deal. I've taken about 200 shots with it so far and I'm really impressed. This was one of my first shots (#62 to be exact) and taken in point-and-shoot (Program AE) mode at full zoom. EXIF info: ISO-80, 1/400 shutter, F/4 aperature, 1600x1200. The only thing I did was resize the photo to post here. I have not done any sports shots yet in bad lighting conditions yet but I feel the FZ3 should still give me acceptable photos (I'll gladly accept noisy ISO-400 shots as long as I get the shot).

I have also taken a few indoor shots with a large picture window as the background that I figured would be horrid, but they came out fine as well. The only thing I've found that the FZ3 has done "wrong" is red-eye in my flash shots. This may be my flash settings as I've not really played with that yet.

Some other cameras may be better at certain things than the Pana, but overall, I think the FZ3 is the top of the class.
Attached Images

dsuds is offline   Reply With Quote