Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:34 PM   #11
PvB

This a quote from this link: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KMZ3/Z3A.HTM. It's from the review of the Konica Z3.

Color: Accurate color, but less saturated than most consumer cameras. The Z3 produced very nice color overall, with proper saturation and generally accurate hue in most cases. Where most consumer digicams artificially pump up their color saturation to produce bright, snappy-looking prints, the Z3 takes a more conservative and therefore generally more accurate approach. Whether you like the results or not will be a matter of personal preference: Most consumers like the artificially bright color of typical consumer digicams. (That's why the manufacturers make them that way.) More advanced photographers on the other hand may prefer the less saturated, more realistic color of the Z3. Besides its lower saturation though, the Z3 does also have some minor hue errors, shifting purples toward blue, greens toward yellow, and oranges toward red. Overall though, the Z3 produced good-looking images throughout my testing.

See also: review of panasonic fz3 at http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FZ3/FZ3A12.HTM

PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 2:11 PM   #12

Argelius wrote:
Quote:
So, someone reassure me that the KM Z3 will be a good choice... :O
That's a better request than looking for the "best". Who knows which is best today and how long that title would last? I can tell you that I have a Z3 for about 2 months and it's a fine camera.

If I had to pick its most annoying quality, it's that you have to manually pull the flash up when you want to use the flash. I didn't notice that in any of the reviews I read when I bought it. Other than that, it works as exactly as advertised.
zzcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 7:31 PM   #13

It's not a question of whether you will use the tripod ever again... rather, it's a question of how often you will use a tripod. For instance, I am more likely to carry the camera alone than carry the tripod. In fact, I would guess that I would carry the camera without a tripod more than 70% of the time. If I go to a sports event, for example, I am more prone to just take the camera than a tripod along with it (it's too big and inconvenient). In situations like that, having IS is a huge bonus.

I agree. I understand that IS does not mean that every zoom shot is going to be the best without a tripod but a good majority of them will be nice shots. I like the fact that you don't HAVE to carry around a tripod to get good shots all the time. I will get a tripod eventually and probably use it occasionally but I like knowing that I don't have to if I don't feel like taking it with me. IS is a real huge bonus as far as I am concerned and for me, it was a must have when searching for a new camera.

As for batteries, like I said it's a matter of personal preference. I much prefer the Prop. over AA's and that's just my opinion. Even if I had wanted AA's, I would not have missed out on the FZ20 because of that. Too many other great things about this camera to let the type of battery turn you away.

Snaphappy1
snaphappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 4:35 AM   #14

What I was saying is that many people naivelybelieve that getting a stabilized lens means the end of 'camera shake' forever.

I've got a Uniloc tripod (like a Benbo, but made by the other brother) that weighs somewherebetween 6to8 pounds, and I'vecarried it around with me (no car) for 8 years without a problem. Most tripods are significantly lighter than this one - yet people are still complaining. Just more examples of people wanting everything easy. They want small, light cameras, because even an FZ-20 -which is half the size of a 35 mm SLR -is "too big"....

I think people whine too much today. People are incredibly spoiled. They refuse to put up with even the slightest little inconvenience. I mean, heck, I'm not old - mid-thirties - and I find it ridiculous that people whine about the things they do. Man, what would you people have done 50 or 70 years ago? Would you have just curled up and died without all of your modern conveniences?

Sorry for the rant, but it simply irks me to see people whining about carrying a tripod when photographers of the past - REAL photographers - had absolutely NONE of the conveniences too many people take for granted today - and they still produced beautiful, inspiring, magical photographs. They relied on effort and imagination. If they didn't happen to have a tripod with them, they simply got creative in stabilizing the camera. Today, everyone wants things done at the push of a button - or, at the very most, at the push of TWO buttons.

Yes, stabilized lenses are convenient. But you're not going to die without one. To my knowledge, no-one has ever died carrying a tripod. In fact, tripods have probably saved more than a few lives.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 7:38 AM   #15

EOS RT wrote:
Quote:
What I was saying is that many people naively┬*believe that getting a stabilized lens means the end of 'camera shake' forever.

I've got a Uniloc tripod (like a Benbo, but made by the other brother)┬* that weighs somewhere┬*between 6┬*to┬*8 pounds, and I've┬*carried it around with me (no car) for 8 years without a problem. Most tripods are significantly lighter than this one - yet people are still complaining. Just more examples of people wanting everything easy. They want small, light cameras, because even an FZ-20 -┬*which is half the size of a 35 mm SLR -┬*is "too big"....

I think people whine too much today. People are incredibly spoiled. They refuse to put up with even the slightest little inconvenience. I mean, heck, I'm not old - mid-thirties - and I find it ridiculous that people whine about the things they do. Man, what would you people have done 50 or 70 years ago? Would you have just curled up and died without all of your modern conveniences?

Sorry for the rant, but it simply irks me to see people whining about carrying a tripod when photographers of the past - REAL photographers - had absolutely NONE of the conveniences too many people take for granted today - and they still produced beautiful, inspiring, magical photographs. They relied on effort and imagination. If they didn't happen to have a tripod with them, they simply got creative in stabilizing the camera. Today, everyone wants things done at the push of a button - or, at the very most, at the push of TWO buttons.

Yes, stabilized lenses are convenient. But you're not going to die without one. To my knowledge, no-one has ever died carrying a tripod. In fact, tripods have probably saved more than a few lives.
AMEN.

I got a very cheap $18 lightweight extendable tripod. It is no-brander - unless "King" is a brand, has a "closed" length 9" long (8" high when opened at minimum length) and can be extended to about 35" high when opened at full length.

It may look rather cheap and flimsy, but has proven tough (and light) enough to follow me around on my travels (Taiwan & Australia, 2 weeks each). And it can hold the weight of my C770UZ very well, even though it was initially bought for use with my mju-400. I can put it in my backpack without feeling it/wasting space.

And who says a tripod has to be expensive and bulky (or fancy)?

Thon
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote