Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 12, 2004, 1:02 PM   #1

Help me find a Digital Camera that will take photos as (ALMOST) as easy as my Mavica FD-88. I post my photosin eBay Auctions. I think this is a great site. My FD-88 is just about shot! I have been using it for circa 5 years & it has been a proven perfomer. I looked at the Panasonic FZ3 - greatLeica 12XOptical Zoom but doesn't have the Manual Focus Lens Ring. IMO, the Lens Ring assists me in getting GREAT in-focus, closeupstill shots & QUICKLY!

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance. mark
cpaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2004, 2:24 PM   #2

An EOS 1Ds MKII?
Pekkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 2:37 PM   #3

You could look at Minolta 7HI (7x optical) or an Olympus E-20 (4x optical).

You would be looking at about $350-450 for the Minolta.

$500+ for the E20.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 2:42 PM   #4

Thanks fellas & keep it coming. I REALLY like the idea of the Panasonic line with the Leica 12X Optical Zoom. My FD-88 is 8X Optical Zoom --- so I would like MORE in the way of Optical Zoom Power, not less. That 7X, though, is intriguing. BTW - I don't need a lot of pixels 3.0 will do me fine. THANKS !

PS ... Am I alone in wanting this additional control over manual focus?
Old Nov 12, 2004, 2:45 PM   #5

I agree that a focus ring ismuch morepleasant to use than the other types of 'manual focus' options out there. Unfortunately, though, focus rings are rare.

You can look at the Panasonic FZ-10, FZ-15, and FZ-20 - they all have it, and you can get the FZ-10 at a good price now. Alternately, the Fuji S-7000 and S-20 also have focus rings, with the option of turning the center magnification on and off.Wonderful ergonomics on those Fujis, as well. Even a Multiple Exposure option (on the S-7000, at least, not positive about the S-20). Image quality, however, is somewhat disappointing.

Worth mentioning as well that neither the Panasonics nor the Fujis have a distance scale in Manual Focus -which isinexcusable.

Good luck.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 2:53 PM   #6

OOPS ---- can someone explain DISTANCE SCALE to me? Also, does the Minolta 7hi have Distance Scale? (I didn;t see it mentioned at the product reviews or specifications). THANKS A BUNCH everybody - you guys are wonderful.

Old Nov 13, 2004, 12:50 AM   #7

A Distance Scale is simply a readout in the LCD/EVF that shows the focus distance as you are manually focussing. It's basically what SLR lenses have printed on them - but with digital cameras, the display is seen in the LCD/EVF. It is much better to have one because when it's even mildly dark, it is difficult to see the subject in the LCD/EVF. With a distance scale, you can set it at the distance the subect is at, and take the shot (likely with flash), and it should be in good focus. I've done this, and it's worked - perfect focus, although I couldn't see a thing in the LCD/EVF.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any digital cameras that have a Manual Focus Ring AND a distance scale. Other cameras have distance scales, but no ring. It's either/or. As I think we've all learned, the perfect camera doesn't exist.

Without the distance scale, you're lost in the dark - unless you get hold of a rare digital camera with a focus assist light. This is a beam of light that is sent from the camera onto the subject so that the autofocus can 'latch' onto something and focus.

I suppose if one has no distance scale in Manual Focus, nor a focus assist light, a flashlight - or even a laser pointer, if the beam is wide enough - might work. I've tried it with a flashlight - it works - but it's not very practical holding a flashlight and a camera at the same time.

By the way, the two Fuji cameras I mentioned have only a 6x zoom. Just thought I'd tell you, as you said you wanted more zoom than that.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote