Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 12, 2004, 5:01 PM   #1

I am looking to purchase an easy to use camera that takes outstanding pictures. I have searched and searched and found the very best reviews on the Panasonic FZ20 camera. I have been sold by these reviews, but I am also having trouble finding this camera locally. Does anyone have an opinionas to what might bea very similar camera that I could possibly purchase? Thanks!
loriehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2004, 6:53 PM   #2

The Panasonic FZ20.

Very very impressive specs, Leica lens, ...

Only downsides, somewhat noisy pics and huge size/weight.

You should bear in mind that the heavier/bigger the camera, the less likely you will carry it around as a normal daily camera (too much of a hassle).

That's why I didn't get the FZ20, but the very compact Oly C770UZ, only downsides.. no IS, lens aperture range not as good as the Leica 12X and 4MP. I bring it around almost everyday, work play etc.
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 6:47 AM   #3

If you want a lot of the same features but don't need 5MP, look at the much smaller Panasonic FZ3. Here's the differences in a nutshell:

3MP vs 5 for the FZ20
no manual focus
no hot shoe
$200 cheaper list (about $180 street)
does not accept Pana's extra wide angle and extra tele lenses

Did I miss anything?
dsuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 8:50 AM   #4

dsuds wrote:
Quote:
If you want a lot of the same features but don't need 5MP, look at the much smaller Panasonic FZ3. Here's the differences in a nutshell:

3MP vs 5 for the FZ20
no manual focus
no hot shoe
$200 cheaper list (about $180 street)
does not accept Pana's extra wide angle and extra tele lenses

Did I miss anything?
There are some other key differences... the FZ20 has larger sensor, although it still doesn't seem to be big enough to produce low-noise pics at high ISO... and another key difference is that the FZ20 has 2" LCD screen compared to something like 1.5" (??; or is it 1.8"??) on the FZ3. That's a big difference in LCD screen.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 7:59 PM   #5

I have the FZ20 and I honestly don't find it too large or heavy. I had been using a compact Oly for the past couple of years and did not find it hard to get used to the FZ20. Yes, it is larger than a compact , it's very much like a DSLR dimension-wise but it certainly is not as heavy as one. Its a very comfortable camera to hold and use.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"My advice would be to keep looking and read these forums and I am sure you will locate one. Circuit city sells them and their prices are generally pretty good. If you have your heart set on the FZ20 and it has what you need in a camera, I doubt you will find another digicam that will compare(IN THIS PRICE RANGE)at the present time. The FZ20 is a great camera with lots of great features and is very user friendly. The picture quality is very good, if you read the revieWs on this camera and look at the sample galleries, you will see that noise is not any worse than other camera's in this class and in many cases actually better. I don't understand why the issue of noise with the FZ20 keeps coming up because all prosumer digicams have small sensors so for the most part, noise is always going to be an issue at high ISO. If you want no noise at ISO 400 or higher, you need to get a DSLR which of course will cost you a lot more .

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Snaphappy1
snaphappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 8:01 PM   #6

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
There are some other key differences... the FZ20 has larger sensor, although it still doesn't seem to be big enough to produce low-noise pics at high ISO... and another key difference is that the FZ20 has 2" LCD screen compared to something like 1.5" (??; or is it 1.8"??) on the FZ3. That's a big difference in LCD screen.
OK, my bad. Here are a few more differences:

1/3.2 (.312") sensor on FZ3 vs 1/2.5 (.4") on FZ20
1.5" LCD vs 2" LCD
lens on FZ20 has 1 ED lens (whatever that means)
FZ20 has 2 user definable "Scene" modes
8MB vs 16MB SD card - both are so small they're a joke
.64 lb vs 1.14 lb
dsuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:10 PM   #7

Circuit City.com has it on sale right now for $536 and their B&M stores will all price-match it! I ordered mine last week from butterflyphoto.com for $456 + shipping but they have since raised their price to $498 and is SOLD OUT. I think this camera is going to be VERY hard to find this holiday season so I would buy it soon.

As far as it being big-I sold my Canon ELPH S410 to buy this. It just didn't take "Incredible" pictures like the FZ20 does. I got it Friday evening. Both my husband and I woke up extra early the next day trying to be the First one to play with it! It really makes photography FUN again. And to answer your question-"No-in my opinion, there isn't a better digital camera out there, esp. for the price!". I have 2 little ones so I bought a gently used Dimage X camera for my purse. But anytime I know that I will be taking pictures, I will bring along the Lumix. Like someone else said, it's not "small" but it's surprisingly light! Hope this helps....
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:11 PM   #8

Circuit City.com has it on sale right now for $536 and their B&M stores will all price-match it! I ordered mine last week from butterflyphoto.com for $456 + shipping but they have since raised their price to $498 and is SOLD OUT. I think this camera is going to be VERY hard to find this holiday season so I would buy it soon.

As far as it being big-I sold my Canon ELPH S410 to buy this. It just didn't take "Incredible" pictures like the FZ20 does. I got it Friday evening. Both my husband and I woke up extra early the next day trying to be the First one to play with it! It really makes photography FUN again. And to answer your question-"No-in my opinion, there isn't a better digital camera out there, esp. for the price!". I have 2 little ones so I bought a gently used Dimage X camera for my purse. But anytime I know that I will be taking pictures, I will bring along the Lumix. Like someone else said, it's not "small" but it's surprisingly light! Hope this helps....
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote