Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 14, 2004, 7:57 PM   #1

Hi,

I understand that a lot of digital cameras for the consumer market have very small ccd's (8x 6mm) but a large number of pixels (5mpix).

the better quality professonal cameras have much larger ccd's (20x 15mm) and similar pixels (5mpix)

This makes sense to me as signal to noise ratio will be much beter with bigger pixels, and this is likelt to limit resolution sooner than pixel size anyway.

The trouble is - manufacturers hardly ever quote the size of the CCD. Does anyone have this information for the £200-300 cameras on the market? Is the olympus c3060 a large CCD type, as I suspect?

Regards

Philip
philipcosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:53 PM   #2

hmm... can't find 3060... are you talking about 5060?

I have no idea how accurate it is but dpreview.com has the sensor size listed in their camera database. Here is the link for the 5060:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...oly_c5060z.asp

It is listed as 1/1.8 " (7.18 x 5.32 mm)...this is similar to higher-end prosumer cameras. It is larger than the smaller cameras and the cheaper ones; it is also larger than the ultra-zooms. Here is a side-by-side comparison where I have listed a bunch of cameras in DIFFERENT CATEGORIES to give you an idea of sensor size (sensor size is the 5 or 6th attribute listed in the chart):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...dscw1&show=all

So to sum up, I would say the sensor is somewhat large but not THAT large...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 9:15 AM   #3

Hi,

Thanks for the links..

I am suprised that the C-5060 is actually a small CCD... but with the lower pixel count it should be similar image quality to the C8080? I have thought of working out a factor proportional to pixel size.

with a 1/2.7 divide 20 by the mPix

with a 1/1.8 divide 40 by the mPix

with a 2/3 divide 60 by the mPix

This makes a 2/3, 8mPix camera (Olympus C-8080) the same as a 1/1.8 5mPix camera (Olympus C-5060)

It makes a 2/3, 5mPix camera the betterbuy i.e. Olympus E-10

The Olympus E-1, Canon EOS Rebel and Panasonic DMC LC-1 are my best quality.

What do you think? is this a fair analysis?

Philip
philipcosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:08 AM   #4

I'm not really sure how valid your analysis is... I don't really know how one would determine 'quality' from the pixel count and sensor size.

Yes, you'll get more noise with a small sensor and high MP but can you really conclude that is worse? I think the DSLRs are in a different league so you can definitely draw some conclusions with them. However, how about the prosumer cameras? Can you really say that a 2/3" sensor and 7 Megapixels is worse than, say, a 1/8" and 5 MP camera? I'm not so sure...

On another note, how do you draw conclusions from the Fuji superCCD technology, which places the sensors differently?
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:03 PM   #5

The sensor is only one part of a complicated system.

A bunch of people here cried about Sony sticking 7MP on the samesize sensor as the 5MP, but the results show that just like everything else today, technology can packhigh quality into a smaller space.
SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote