Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:06 PM   #1

This is going to be a Christmas present to a very close friend. She is a intermediate digital camera user, who is just beginning to learn how to use the manual aspects of digital cameras,such as different ISO speeds, shutter speeds, etc. She loves to take pictures and I would like to get her one that has excellent image quality and is compact (easy to put in pocket/purse).

So, I came to the conclusion of these two cameras. I know that one is 7MP and the other is 5MP, but I really like Canon camera's and this is the best compact model they have out. I have seen the Powershot G6 and I think it's just to big and bulky for her.

Which takes better shots at the same resolution? Which camera is better in general?

Please feel free to add any pro's and con's. Thanks a lot guys.
bioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2004, 3:05 AM   #2

The P150 had really good reviews as I'm sure you've read. The S500 on the other hand doesn't seem to offer much if anything over the widely popular and celebrated S410. You may want to check out the SD300 which hosts a multitude of new features. I would go with the Sony but does she really need 7 MP? Maybe she doesn't but it's sure to impress her but then again so would the small size of the SD300.
j0j081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:22 AM   #3

I almost boughtan S500 but there have been numerous reports of fatal software errors with them.

Ihave a P150 and couldn't be happier with it.

Does she really need 7MP?... the question should be, is there a reason why she shouldn't have 7MP
If you are worried about file size,you can set the camera to 5MP with 2 clicks of a button.
SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 1:34 PM   #4

Which camera has better image quality?

I've heard that some pictures in full resolution on the sony, come out a bit blurry or "mushy", especially objects in the background. And I have heard Sony Image quality will never be as good as Canon's. Is this true?
bioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 4:12 PM   #5

bioman wrote:
Quote:
I've heard that some pictures in full resolution on the sony, come out a bit blurry or "mushy", especially objects in the background.
I have a few that I'm not ecstatic about, but I also had a bunch of those with my nikon 5700 as well.
I also have a ton that are perfect to me in almost every way.
I crop them to death and still have plenty of resolution.

bioman wrote:
Quote:
And I have heard Sony Image quality will never be as good as Canon's. Is this true?
That's a bold statement you heard... Never? Like never ever, no way in heck ever?
There are plenty of folk camped on both sides of the fence on this one.
SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote